Sherwood Magnum Blizzard with Octo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked a few people who I thought might have reliable information and they all agreed there should be no problem using it with the HP tank. I've paired them several times withouth issue. Thanks for your information!

I dive my 1985 Sherwood Magnum Blizzard regulator on HP as well as LP tanks, never had a problem.

I have the same vintage Sherwood Reg - Oasis. Hundreds of dive with HP 3442psi. No issues.

Please PM me if you want to part with this set. I love mine, have no problems getting it serviced, and would like a backup set.

Hello Nude Diver, I dont know if you still are active here, but I got a proposal for you, If you still have those Sherwood Magnum Blizzard Regs let me know. I would be willing to buy them.

Thanks
Send me an e mail at born2dive9702@yahoo.com

That is true for the 1st and 2nd stage.

Only the random non-service parts are the items in jepordy at this time. As for whether or not you should sell it, I would say it depends on how often you are diving and how much you paid for it. If you are only diving once or twice a year, I would tell you to keep it. If you are diving monthly, then make the investment and purchase something newer.

I know this is an old thread, but Sherwood's rep comment continues to bother me. I dive year round, cold, warm, deep, shallow, murky, clear water and my older Sherwood Oasis (of the vintage of the original poster) continues to dive great. There are no service issues!!!! And my tech says that the service items needed are continually available!!! Now, if the plastic 2nd stage were to break (which it hasn't in 20+ years) - yeah, I'd have to replace it with a newer model - the 1st stage is a great breather. Actually, I'd just find a old Sherwood Reg on CraigsList (ebay-yuck, but necessary) or advertise for one right here on SB! :)

Hey nude diver, do you want to sell that fine reg (actually I own 4 older wonderful Sherwood Regs - my my favorite is still the Oasis - and the compass still works (w/hundreds of rough jetty dives!) - they just don't build them like they used to.

I would also mention that some of the new fangled regs, including Sherwood's, have proved to be so sensitive and needing tech tweeking that I would not buy some of them. You can read about this in this Sherwood section.

I bought my Sherwood magnum in 1980, and it is still going strong.... had it seerviced last year and no problems with parts.... tragically I lost the lifetime parts card for it about 20+ years ago....

I know this is an old thread, but Sherwood's rep comment continues to bother me. I dive year round, cold, warm, deep, shallow, murky, clear water and my older Sherwood Oasis (of the vintage of the original poster) continues to dive great. There are no service issues!!!! And my tech says that the service items needed are continually available!!! Now, if the plastic 2nd stage were to break (which it hasn't in 20+ years) - yeah, I'd have to replace it with a newer model - the 1st stage is a great breather. Actually, I'd just find a old Sherwood Reg on CraigsList (ebay-yuck, but necessary) or advertise for one right here on SB! :)

Hey nude diver, do you want to sell that fine reg (actually I own 4 older wonderful Sherwood Regs - my my favorite is still the Oasis - and the compass still works (w/hundreds of rough jetty dives!) - they just don't build them like they used to.

I would also mention that some of the new fangled regs, including Sherwood's, have proved to be so sensitive and needing tech tweeking that I would not buy some of them. You can read about this in this Sherwood section.

Hello drdaddy
Glad to hear that you have such high regard for this regulator that you wil buy more.
The club through which I did my open water 1 course in 1996 used these regulators and they were student proof.

I bought the same Sherwood Brut 1 stage with Brut 2nd stage (black) and Oasis 2nd stage (as in the pictures) in 2010 for my bail out tank on recommendation from a local dive shop because Sherwood service kits was the cheapest of all at that stage.
The regs looked in very good condition (very little scratches from diving and the a clamp thread was lightly lubed with silicon grease) but I had them serviced in June 2012 anyway before I put them in actual service.
It was a shocker to find out that Sherwood service kits are no longer available in South Africa but the techncian assured me that they have Aqualung seats and stock o-rings that will do the job.

I got the regulators back and thoroughly tested them dry (I had Apex T20 before and the 2nd stage seat took a while to bed in before it stopped free flowing)before doing a dive - as it was a 3 liter bail out I just aired it up and did not use it in the actual dive but there was no drama.

When I soaked the bailout system after the dive I noticed some bubbles escaping from the black rubber plug on the first stage. It occurs at the same rate as a tap that is leaking one drop at a time and not a steady stream of bubbles.

Have you ever experienced this kind of leak from a newly serviced Brut 1stage - I live about 100 miles from Cape Town and don't want to drive all the way there to fix something that is not broken.

Regards
drcolyn

---------- Post Merged on September 14th, 2012 at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 13th, 2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

Hello All fellow Sherwood owners/fans
I may have just asked a silly question about the leaking 1stage but on the odd chance that I can save somebody else a trip to the dive shop I found this interesting info on www.dtmag.com which explains the air seeping (it cannot be called a leak) out of the breather hole.
Man! now I am really proud to own a Sherwood rig.

In a piston design, water pressure acts directly on the valve, making it simpler, with fewer moving parts but because water enters the spring and piston chamber, pistons are more sensitive to corrosion, especially if the owner neglects regular maintenance.

Some manufacturers of piston first stages offer ingenious solutions to keep out contamination. Sherwood units have a slow air bleed, which keeps water out of the housing. Divers who are unaware of this feature may see a constant stream of tiny bubbles emanating from the first stage and think it’s leaking. But the loss is negligible; it amounts to the equivalent of less than a half-dozen breaths over the course of a dive.

I have a set of Sherwood regulators. The Magnum (primary) inside make up is a bit different. I am wanting to buy the service kits for both
regularors. I dont know the model numbers.
P1000797.jpg

P1000796.jpgP1000794.jpgP1000793.jpg

Hello drdaddy
Glad to hear that you have such high regard for this regulator that you wil buy more.
The club through which I did my open water 1 course in 1996 used these regulators and they were student proof.

I bought the same Sherwood Brut 1 stage with Brut 2nd stage (black) and Oasis 2nd stage (as in the pictures) in 2010 for my bail out tank on recommendation from a local dive shop because Sherwood service kits was the cheapest of all at that stage.
The regs looked in very good condition (very little scratches from diving and the a clamp thread was lightly lubed with silicon grease) but I had them serviced in June 2012 anyway before I put them in actual service.
It was a shocker to find out that Sherwood service kits are no longer available in South Africa but the techncian assured me that they have Aqualung seats and stock o-rings that will do the job.

I got the regulators back and thoroughly tested them dry (I had Apex T20 before and the 2nd stage seat took a while to bed in before it stopped free flowing)before doing a dive - as it was a 3 liter bail out I just aired it up and did not use it in the actual dive but there was no drama.

When I soaked the bailout system after the dive I noticed some bubbles escaping from the black rubber plug on the first stage. It occurs at the same rate as a tap that is leaking one drop at a time and not a steady stream of bubbles.

Have you ever experienced this kind of leak from a newly serviced Brut 1stage - I live about 100 miles from Cape Town and don't want to drive all the way there to fix something that is not broken.

Regards
drcolyn

---------- Post Merged on September 14th, 2012 at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous Post was on September 13th, 2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

Hello All fellow Sherwood owners/fans
I may have just asked a silly question about the leaking 1stage but on the odd chance that I can save somebody else a trip to the dive shop I found this interesting info on www.dtmag.com which explains the air seeping (it cannot be called a leak) out of the breather hole.
Man! now I am really proud to own a Sherwood rig.

In a piston design, water pressure acts directly on the valve, making it simpler, with fewer moving parts but because water enters the spring and piston chamber, pistons are more sensitive to corrosion, especially if the owner neglects regular maintenance.

Some manufacturers of piston first stages offer ingenious solutions to keep out contamination. Sherwood units have a slow air bleed, which keeps water out of the housing. Divers who are unaware of this feature may see a constant stream of tiny bubbles emanating from the first stage and think it’s leaking. But the loss is negligible; it amounts to the equivalent of less than a half-dozen breaths over the course of a dive.

drcolyn - I just noticed (5 months later) that this was addressed to me. I did not ignore you. But I am glad that someone answered your question very thoroughly. Good luck to you. By the way, a few years ago my daughter and son-in-law got all geared up for a dive off South Africa but were disappointed as bad weather caused the dive to be called off. But actually I was relieved, as I don't think that they were up to it (I'm a very over-protective Daddy). Anyways, I would love to dive South Africa someday - I heard the dive they were signed up for is quite spectacular. drdaddy (I'm a Ph.D., but my drdaughter is M.D.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom