Sherwood for sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoorishK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm considering getting into sidemount in the future. Would I be able to use Sherwood regulator for this purpose? Also, is a turret necessary for side-mount?

I did it when starting out. The short reg hose runs diagonally out the top, so it looks a bit wonky when stowed is all. The long hose I routed down since it's usually partially stowed. That would knock off a few inches in a sharing scenario (no turret to rotate up), but I don't expect that to be critical in an OW setting.

I used my yoke Sherwood and Atomic Z2 (no turret on it, either) because I could get yoke rental tanks for free at the time, meaning lots of practice. During the dive, they handle pretty much like my DIN Atomic M1s (that do have turrets) that I use for the caves.

SM_sherwood-z2.png

ETA:For comparison, this is with my (turreted) M1 on the left. The right used a Z2 because my other M1 needed service right before my last cave trip (IP creep).
SM_M1s.jpg

I did it when starting out. The short reg hose runs diagonally out the top, so it looks a bit wonky when stowed is all. The long hose I routed down since it's usually partially stowed. That would knock off a few inches in a sharing scenario (no turret to rotate up), but I don't expect that to be critical in an OW setting.

I used my yoke Sherwood and Atomic Z2 (no turret on it, either) because I could get yoke rental tanks for free at the time, meaning lots of practice. During the dive, they handle pretty much like my DIN Atomic M1s (that do have turrets) that I use for the caves.

View attachment 862821

ETA:For comparison, this is with my (turreted) M1 on the left. The right used a Z2 because my other M1 needed service right before my last cave trip (IP creep).
View attachment 862822
Thank you for telling me! Do you feel like not having a turret is a huge hassle?

Huge hassle? No, more like a preference. The turrets do route better (again, primarily between stowage and operational), but if you already have non-turret regs, it's an easy way to get into it. It's sidemount after all -- you will have plenty to fiddle with anyway! 🙂

View attachment 862821

View attachment 862822

I can see 2 transmitters. Which computer do you use that manage sidemount ? Any problem when switching regs with the signal and the ability of the computer to manage this ? Thank you.

Which computer do you use that manage sidemount ?
Shearwater computers have a side mount mode, but I doubt that's exclusive to them. (I use Terics, FWIW, mainly because of the better contrast screen at the time.)

These are the PPS transmitters. Ideally, I'd have the yellow and gray to reduce the likelihood of collisions, but it's a simple matter to turn the second one on 2-3 seconds after the first. (They transmit at a 5s cadence.) The newer Swift transmitters listen/adjust for collisions, so it's not an issue with them.

The only time I really want a turret is deploying the long hose.
I actually prefer to not use 5th ports now that I've been doing it recently.

the SR2 has a similar layout to any other piston reg (eg scubapro/atomic) and there are no issues using it. the 9000 series lacks the turret but you can make it work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom