Sherwood Amphos dive computer issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oonej

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey everyone.

My wife bought me a sherwood Amphos dive computer a few years ago. I had it replaced due to the screen completely vanishing. They said it was already past the warranty date but sent me a new one anyways.

Fast track to a few weeks ago (out of warranty), my MODE button is no longer functional. I can not use the mode button at all. The other 3 work fine. Not sure what to do, but not happy. It goes into dive mode when I dive, but can't check my pressure pre-dive. Not ideal.

I tried replacing battery and spinning/rotating the button to possibly un-break it. Nothing helps :-(

Suggestions? Is it bricked?

My dive program uses Amphos as our rental computers for students. We have had tons of problems with them over the past two years. Mostly changing gas mixtures at some point after setting the mix and starting diving (ie set to air, and the log presents as nitrox or vice versa). We've had almost all of them (50 or so) go back at least once.

My suggestion? Get something else. Unfortunately almost all of the watch style computers with 4 buttons are the same computer, so not too many options if you want to stick with that form factor.

If I were getting one, I'd either go with the deep six one, or the recreational shearwater, depending on what functionality you want.

Thanks for your feed back. That's sad news. I don't mind switching form factors. I use my dive computer for nitrox only. Only issue is I also have a transmitter. Would love to use it for a new one as well.

I assume you have an Amphos Air as you mention checking your pressure. If so, you have a PPS transmitter that will work with other brands using that transmitter.

The Oceanic OCi is on sale at LeisurePro for $449, they have used units for $299. Runs the same DSAT deco algorithm run by the Amphos. It's possible that the OCi is set to be discontinued for an upgraded model with Bluetooth, I don't know.

You could consider a Shearwater Perdix AI or a Teric. Or, you can wait for a while and hope they come out with a Peregrine AI :)

Good luck

Edit: just saw your post from while I was typing, so you do have the transmitter. I dived an Oceanic Geo 2 for years as a backup, same as the Amphos (not Air). Performed flawlessly, my son is still using it as his backup.

See Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands?

I assume you have an Amphos Air as you mention checking your pressure. If so, you have a PPS transmitter that will work with other brands using that transmitter.

The Oceanic OCi is on sale at LeisurePro for $449, they have used units for $299. Runs the same DSAT deco algorithm run by the Amphos. It's possible that the OCi is set to be discontinued for an upgraded model with Bluetooth, I don't know.

You could consider a Shearwater Perdix AI or a Teric. Or, you can wait for a while and hope they come out with a Peregrine AI :)

Good luck

Edit: just saw your post from while I was typing, so you do have the transmitter. I dived an Oceanic Geo 2 for years as a backup, same as the Amphos (not Air). Performed flawlessly, my son is still using it as his backup.

See Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands?
Thanks ScubaDada! I will look into that computer. Looks like $246 on amazon. not terrible.

Assuming its compatible with my transmitter? Oceanic, Sherwood, and someone else I believe are all universal.

Hi @Oonej

Check the link I posted regarding PPS transmitter compatibility.

The only new AI computers currently available running DSAT are the Oceanic OCi and the Sherwood Amphos Air 2.0. There are discontinued computers that would also work. Shearwater Perdix AI and Teric run Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF and are very flexible when configured

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom