Closed Shearwater Teric

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiveoboy01

Registered
Reaction score
This Teric was purchased from Diversions Scuba in Madison, Spring of 2020.

Around 35 dives but many were very short(pool etc) so the total dive time on it is about 5 hours.

Excellent condition, not beat up or damaged, functions as it should. Includes case and all original accessories as shown.

$825 includes USPS priority mail shipping and insurance. Add $25 for "protected" payment such as PayPal.

Additional pictures showing the sides/back etc. available, DM for those(don't want to clog the thread with too many images).

IMG_6142.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

I would be all over this if I didn’t already have two!

I would be all over this if I didn’t already have two!
I was thinking about this and wondering if it might make sense to add a third for additional redundancy. Wearing one on each arm covers the most likely scenario that a shark bites one of your arms off. Arm gone, no problem, simply look at the other computer, finish your deco and get out clean and tend to that missing arm. However, what if there are a bunch of sharks present and all that blood in the water from that missing first arm gets them in a frenzy and they bite off the other arm? I am not a statistician, but it sure seems likely to me that if you lost the first arm the other one is a likely candidate for a second bite. Now you are stuck in the water column somewhere with no arms and no Terics left so no idea how much deco to do. I thought one good option might be a longer band and going with a thigh mount so you could just look down, but legs are just as bite-able as arms I suppose and that would leave you in the same predicament of not knowing how much deco to do and now possibly having no propulsion due to one or two legs missing. Neck mount or forehead mount might work, but you can't see the display unless you mount a mirror on one fin, but that mirror and fin would be gone if the aforementioned leg bitten off scenario occurs. Maybe the best choice is a waist mounted third backup unit (like a cowboy belt buckle) in an upside-down orientation so you can just bend at the waist and see the display?

I was thinking about this and wondering if it might make sense to add a third for additional redundancy. Wearing one on each arm covers the most likely scenario that a shark bites one of your arms off. Arm gone, no problem, simply look at the other computer, finish your deco and get out clean and tend to that missing arm. However, what if there are a bunch of sharks present and all that blood in the water from that missing first arm gets them in a frenzy and they bite off the other arm? I am not a statistician, but it sure seems likely to me that if you lost the first arm the other one is a likely candidate for a second bite. Now you are stuck in the water column somewhere with no arms and no Terics left so no idea how much deco to do. I thought one good option might be a longer band and going with a thigh mount so you could just look down, but legs are just as bite-able as arms I suppose and that would leave you in the same predicament of not knowing how much deco to do and now possibly having no propulsion due to one or two legs missing. Neck mount or forehead mount might work, but you can't see the display unless you mount a mirror on one fin, but that mirror and fin would be gone if the aforementioned leg bitten off scenario occurs. Maybe the best choice is a waist mounted third backup unit (like a cowboy belt buckle) in an upside-down orientation so you can just bend at the waist and see the display?
Always real world exception such as this, I’ll have to think the 3rd option over

good god, don't use the HUD model (NERD). you could lose your head too...
That's also another drawback to the neck mount and forehead mount options. I didn't go there since I didn't figure a bitten off head scenario was likely to be survivable.

Wearing one on each arm covers the most likely scenario that a shark bites one of your arms off. Arm gone, no problem, simply look at the other computer

At least the 2nd computer would still be communicating with the transmitter... Good thing this isn't a Garmin as the sharks could somehow figure out how to locate you.... :rofl3:

At least the 2nd computer would still be communicating with the transmitter... Good thing this isn't a Garmin as the sharks could somehow figure out how to locate you.... :rofl3:
The sharks are probably much more sensitive to an electric field than an acoustic field, so I'd go with the Garmin transmitters being safer.

Back
Top Bottom