Shearwater Redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I dive with a Predator and an Aeris Epic in gauge mode. Thinking about a second predator or trading it in and getting 2 Petrels.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of divers with 2 of the same computers for redundancy.
I like the low profile of the Petrel, especially if I where to have 2 of them.
Who dives 2 of them (Predator/Petrels), how do you wear them, what about stuffing one in a pocket on a lanyard. Looking for opinions and ideas.
Thanks.

Can you bungee mount one and wear the strap on the other? I wear my computers like that on the same spot on my wrist, the redundant one on the outside.

Can you bungee mount one and wear the strap on the other? I wear my computers like that on the same spot on my wrist, the redundant one on the outside.
Re: bungee, wearing a wetsuit, I found that the bungee works well and your idea sounds perfect, however, both my drysuits have Viking's classic ring system and I've found it to be troublesome dealing with the bungee, it has to large enough to get over the rings and yet small enough to fit on the forearm, I prefer the quick release straps supplied for this reason.
With the Epic I just attach it to a D-ring for convenience.

I get mine over sitech rings... I also have a loop that i can pull up the slack and bungee around the computer when i dive a rental suit with no cuff rings.

adding, it only needs to big stretch enough to fit over the rings, and the one on the regular strap helps hold the bungee in place.

I get mine over sitech rings... I also have a loop that i can pull up the slack and bungee around the computer when i dive a rental suit with no cuff rings.

adding, it only needs to big stretch enough to fit over the rings, and the one on the regular strap helps hold the bungee in place.
Can you send a pic or 2 when/if you can, please.

I wear a predator on each wrist. I did away with the stock straps and tried bungee for awhile but it did not allow enough stretch to get over my drysuit and still be tight enough to prevent twisting on my arm. I have since went to using surgical tubing to hold the Predators. It stretches plenty enough to get over my drysuit and keeps them secure on my arms. The really awesome thing is that the same setup works equally as well when I switch to my wetsuit without any changes. Oh yeah, the tubing is cheap as dirt too.

I wear a predator on each wrist. I did away with the stock straps and tried bungee for awhile but it did not allow enough stretch to get over my drysuit and still be tight enough to prevent twisting on my arm. I have since went to using surgical tubing to hold the Predators. It stretches plenty enough to get over my drysuit and keeps them secure on my arms. The really awesome thing is that the same setup works equally as well when I switch to my wetsuit without any changes. Oh yeah, the tubing is cheap as dirt too.
Never thought of the surgical tubing, I haven't used it for many years now, I'll try that idea.

I dive with a Predator and an Aeris Epic in gauge mode. Thinking about a second predator or trading it in and getting 2 Petrels.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of divers with 2 of the same computers for redundancy.
I like the low profile of the Petrel, especially if I where to have 2 of them.
Who dives 2 of them (Predator/Petrels), how do you wear them, what about stuffing one in a pocket on a lanyard. Looking for opinions and ideas.
Thanks.

There are TONS of people with two predators or petrels on their arms. One on each arm. No problem with buying two of the best of something.

I've been using a Petrel and a Predator, alternate arms or both on one depending on what else on my arms and what I'm doing. Ideally I'd like to get a second Petrel, but the price for the Predator was too good to pass up and, as you can read below, I needed a new backup.

I see no reason you couldn't stick one in a pocket, though given the relatively small size of such computers I don't see why you'd bother and I usually have other things in my pockets. One possible, though unlikely, problem scenario: you keep the backup in your pocket, which means you cannot monitor it. Early in the dive it fails, but you do not realize that. Just before you start your deco, however, the computer on your arm dies. You go to the pocket, thinking nbd, where you find your redundancy to have failed long before your primary, which if you'd known about it might have caused you to scrub the dive. Hopefully you have a tertiary means of computing your deco profile.

While this didn't happen to my Shearwater, I did have a Cobalt in my drysuit pocket as a backup computer on a 190' dive some months back. I completed my 30 minutes of bottom time, started my ascent, and pulled the Cobalt out at 120' anticipating its first scheduled deep stop would occur before the Petrel's. When I got the Cobalt out, it was flooded. I spent the rest of my ascent watching my Petrel and wondering if I was going to have to fall back on tables, my dive watch, and a marked ascent line.

I dive a Petrel and a Predator and dive them redundantly. Some people prefer to run different GF's and conservatism, and what not on their second computer, with the idea that if something bad happened they could exit the water faster. That is not how I dive mine. I dive two for failover in case my "primary" dies. I put one on each arm, and consider the Petrel my "Primary" and the Predator my 'failover". I have been using the included straps, but I actually have had one strap pop open on its own and have considered replacing them with bungee. I like Dsix's idea of surgical tubing. Im thinking about using some relatively thin loose bungee inside of surgical tubing and making my straps like that. As far as stuffing in a pocket or whatever thats a personal choice but if my computer is failing (I have had computer failures in the middle of deco, even a DOUBLE FAILURE ONCE) I dont want to be searching for the other computer. I have found no reason not to wear one on each arm. Works for me wet or dry suit.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom