Shearwater Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pirate Dough

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Quick basic Shearwater question.
I was doing a shallow 25 foot dive to dial in some gear. I was using my shearwater for my first time. When I later checked my dive log...
dive #1 said 25 feet for 15 minutes.
dive #2 said 6 feet 3 minutes.
I figured that dive #2 registered while I was in the shallows messing around so I deleted dive#2
but......when I turn on my computer its saying my max depth on the home screen is 6 feet. First things first...why is it still reading 6 feet being I erased dive#2...
and being my max dive was 25 feet...shouldn't it read max dive 25 feet and not 6 feet??????
Thanks

Just a guess, but perhaps erasing a log entry does not affect the data the computer displays relating to the most recent dive. The computer tracks your nitrogen loading over multiple dives, and I have to believe that erasing one or more recent log entries does not cause the computer to behave as though you accumulated no nitrogen on those dives--as though those dives never happened.

My understanding is that erasing a dive from the log doesn't mean it erases it from memory. It still needs that log to keep track of your tissue loading so while you may not want to log the dive, it doesn't mean you can pretend that it didn't exist. That would be extraordinarily dangerous

Dives can be retrieved if erased from the log by accident, so they're still there.

you can set it to not start another dive until you've been up from one for 10 minutes, or to start another dive once you hit 0 feet and then go back down. you might be happier with the first setting. i have one set each way, so one counts every little pop up and one counts it as one longer dive. to each their own. :) i usually log them as the long dive.

Thanks everyone for the response. I can understand the log part but not the fact that max depth is reading 6 feet and not 25 feet. Why is it reading 6 feet and not 25 feet...especially if I "erased the dive"

Here's my understanding:

It's last dive for tissue loading was to 6ft. The previous dive before that was to 25ft but isn't displayed because the most recent dive is the one showing maximum depth.

As mentioned erasing a dive doesn't make it actually disappear.

Cameron

Thanks everyone for the response. I can understand the log part but not the fact that max depth is reading 6 feet and not 25 feet. Why is it reading 6 feet and not 25 feet...especially if I "erased the dive"
Simply put, your last dive was to 6 feet. No matter how you change your dive log or even erase it. Dive log and last dive are separate items.

Lets look at it like this. If you erase the last dive and it is gone then the prior dive is now the last dive. You don't want that dive to be running your algorithym. Your last dive shouod be carrying your total obligations to the minute. If that were not true you could delete a dive and no longer be 10% from deco. delete you last dive and now you have been on SI for hours instead of minutes. If you have your next dive to auto start in 10 min after designated time on surface does the 6 ft go away?

I am thinking that the 6' will stay there till the computer ends the dive. whether that is done on a dry wet probe or a given after sencing dry wet probe.

It's the same answer already given. You did not "erase the dive" by erasing the log entry for that dive. Erasing a log entry only erases what is displayed on the Dive Log screen. In other words, erasing a log entry is a feature to enhance your dive log viewing experience--allowing you to not display stuff you don't want to see. Regardless of what you do to the log, the computer's computing algorithm still knows you did all the dives you did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom