Shearwater quality control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be clear on a couple of facts:

You were successfully able to return computer #1.

You went back to shearwater because you realize they make an awesome computer.

You got computer #2 and found yet another “defect” that most of us wouldn’t care about and whined about it a second time.

Shearwaters customer service came through a second time as the rest of us predicted and you got computer #3.

WRT bullies, it’s 2023, you can’t possibly expect to find a safe space on the internet 🙄

I decided to give another try and bought a second unit. Unfortunately the second unit I received had some quality issues as well.

Some material between the glass and titanium faceplate was extruding as shown in the picture.

Emailed Dive-Tronix and they confirmed it is a foam that protects the glass from the faceplate.

Returned the unit. Received a third unit and this one looks perfect.

And this is end of my new computer with AI purchase journey.

Shearwater makes great computers but their QC is left a lot to be desired.

Customer service is decent. It took them 24 hours to answer my emails. Dive-Tronix (Richard and Michele) are amazing. They answered all my emails within hours.

Thank you for all the comments.

To all bullies out there, I really hope you spend more time having fun underwater and far, far away from your keyboard

Thanks for all the laughs 👍🏼

LOL. OP, while you are being incredibly anal about insignificant things, you might want to check the length of the two bungee straps, because sometimes they are not exactly the same length.

He ended up with an excellent computer, they are expensive so it’s not unreasonable to expect as near to perfection as possible even if that will only last for a short time.

Received my brand new Perdix 2 “Camo Edition” today.

As soon as I removed the glass sticker I noticed this weird smudge on the LCD.

Make sure you check your computer thoroughly because the quality checklist card that comes with it is useless.
Have you not tried contacting Shearwater? Posting here won't help you much.

Yes, thanks to very rude, unhelpful cultist bullies here. This makes SB a most unwelcoming place for newbies unfortunately.
Well I mean to be fair that doesn't seem like an issue you can fix yourself, and it most certainly will need to be fixed by Shearwater in the end anyways. Asking us won't do much because we can't tell you how to fix it, the best we can do is tell you to send it off to Shearwater since it is their product. It may be a manufacturing defect or it could be bad quality control with the materials in that batch, this is also something Shearwater could inform you of once you reach out to them. Sorry I can't be of much more help to you.

Well I mean to be fair that doesn't seem like an issue you can fix yourself, and it most certainly will need to be fixed by Shearwater in the end anyways. Asking us won't do much because we can't tell you how to fix it, the best we can do is tell you to send it off to Shearwater since it is their product. It may be a manufacturing defect or it could be bad quality control with the materials in that batch, this is also something Shearwater could inform you of once you reach out to them. Sorry I can't be of much more help to you.

Many people come here for help, if you're going to tell them off and not ask questions here, this is going to eliminate the majority of traffic on SB. The travel questions can be asked from dive resorts, equipment issues from manufacturers, etc. We just talk about split fins and shark attacks.

Maybe you missed the thread a couple of weeks ago where I detailed my broken shearwaters?

Hey, I love shearwater but they have their issues. Over the years different models have had major weak spots. The Predator's had buttons that wore out and needed replacement. The Petrel screens didn't have bezels and cracked. The early model Teric had a total failure of batteries for a very significant percentages of units. Fortunately, the company has great service and support in North America. I've used it often.
The point is that they make best in class products and have the best support infrastructure and policies in the industry. If you have a problem and give them a chance, they will do the right thing.

I understand the OP being disturbed about a defect right out of the box. Nobody wants to buy a problem and service something right out of the box. I would have returned this computer as well, and either swapped it out or bought another. We all buy online these days, and this is the downside. You can't try before you buy or inspect, and returns have a bit of friction.
I do agree that there is a cosmetic issue, though I personally likely would not have noticed. I'd notify Shearwater more as a courtesy, as probably the person at SW who received the complaint might very well be looking into how this could have happened, as it looked like the smudge is on the LCD screen underneath the glass.

Right after I sold my first Perdix, the depth sensor went out on the buyer who obviously wasn't happy. But despite being 5 years old, way out of warranty, Shearwater fixed it. I wish it failed for me in my last dive with it, so the buyer wasn't inconvenienced.

But you have to admit, that's pretty darn good customer support considering how old the computer was.

Like I said, the person at SW was probably focused on figuring out how that happened, so it wouldn't happen again, and didn't move fast enough on the replacement. Getting it back and looking at themselves would have been a better thing to do right off the bat. But that's a minor blip in Shearwater's typical excellent customer service. People at times do make mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom