Shearwater Predator OLED versus UEMIS SDA OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Micahel,

Can you please tell me the screen size on the UEMIS?

Also is the battery user replaceable??

I am really wondering why UEMIS used a battery only capable of about 10 hours from what I've read whereas the shearwater with a similar OLED display is capable of around 150hours and is definitely user relaceable

Micahel,

Can you please tell me the screen size on the UEMIS?

Also is the battery user replaceable??

I am really wondering why UEMIS used a battery only capable of about 10 hours from what I've read whereas the shearwater with a similar OLED display is capable of around 150hours and is definitely user relaceable

I think the Uemis has a solar cell, so it does not need as big a battery.

Adam

The screen size is 4.9 x 3.7 cm, with a diagonal of 6 cm. (1.9" x 1.5"; 2.4").

The Uemis does not have a user replacable battery; instead it uses a recharable battery. It does have a solar cell, which does extend it's duration, but don't expect it to keep up during a trip with multiple dives per day.

Has anyone confirmed the 150 hour claim on the Predator? Not saying it's impossible, just that it sits well outside of the range I'd expect. I realise this expectation is fairly subjective.

The battery is a rechargeable lithium polymer battery and has to be changed by us. The reason for that is because the SDA is a single piece molded and sealed unit. For the battery life, depending on the type of diving, you can expect anywhere between 2000 and 2500 dives or 5-7 years give or take.
The battery can charge with the built in 6 Watt Solar Cell anytime there is sunlight, even if the unit is turned off. One of my former students is now working as a videographer and photographer on a liveaboard and she is doing between 20 and 30 dives a week and she says that her unit still shows 75% of the battery power at the end of the week just being charged by the solar cell.
Continuous dive time at the moment is set at 12 hours but we can reset that and you will get, depending on water temperature, around 25 hours continuous dive time. We also found out that the solar cell is charging the battery under water if enough light ( in this case it was a 21 Watt HID light ) is present. The charging ratio is 2:1, which means that for 2 Minutes charging time by solar, you get 1 Minute operating time.
We are just working on getting our people the gear and training needed to change the battery here in North America. Changing the battery, sealing the unit and pressure testing it usually takes a day or two.

For those interested in the presentation, I will send it to their private e-mail address.

Michael

The Shearwater at this point is probably the top of the lest for Tech and Cave diving crowd. Certianly a bulletproof case construction that does come at the price of a somewhat buly unit compared to the Uemis. Everybody I know that has one loves it. The

That said if you are doing only standard open water dives and don't mind spending hundreds more; I am sure either way you will be happy. Wayne at Amigo's in Ft. White, Fl sells both.

To clarify a few things:

1. The Predator has an air gap between the OLED and the faceplate. This causes total internal reflection underwater limiting viewing angle to 90 degrees.
2. The UEMIS has no air gap, thus the viewing angle is 180 degrees with fewer reflections.
3. However the Predator has larger fonts, the Uemis, smaller fonts.
4. The UEMIS can be run at any brightness, the Predator automatically reduces the brightness based on ambient lighting. This is one of the things that allows the Predator long battery life, but it prevents you from maxxing out the brightness manually.
5. The UEMIS has an extremely powerful ARM9 CPU, and many of its features generally use more processing power. That combined with the full brightness on the display means much more battery drain than the Predator.

Take your pick.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

To clarify a few things:

1. The Predator has an air gap between the OLED and the faceplate. This causes total internal reflection underwater limiting viewing angle to 90 degrees.
2. The UEMIS has no air gap, thus the viewing angle is 180 degrees with fewer reflections. True
3. However the Predator has larger fonts, the Uemis, smaller fonts. No one has complained that the fonts at the uemis are too small. But I admit that I have never dove the Shearwater.
4. The UEMIS can be run at any brightness True again, but you can also manually set the brightness if you think that you need to safe some energy, the Predator automatically reduces the brightness based on ambient lighting. This is one of the things that allows the Predator long battery life, but it prevents you from maxxing out the brightness manually.
5. The UEMIS has an extremely powerful ARM9 CPU, and many of its features generally use more processing power. That combined with the full brightness on the display means much more battery drain than the Predator. Thank God that the technology has moved on:wink: The Uemis has an optional low energy setting for the display, in case someone needs it.

Take your pick.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Michael

Michael,

Can you please pass on some feedback and questions to the guys at UEMIS.

Update the specifications to show physical dimensions and screen size (Thanks ijdod!)

This video (wish itr was english!) I just found on the web is the first to really show its size properly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvP9IdEJXLk and its smaller than I was expecting!

Do they know an expected cost to replace the battery? Don't want a nasty shock in years to come!

I, like a lot of people, don't take a computer when travelling so the travel charger should really be included in the UEMIS package as it is an essential item - especially as they have priced themselves at the top end of the market IMHO.

Are they going to be making a 12v charging adaptor for the UEMIS - cigarette lighter socket - another essential item when travelling and one I would be prepared to pay for due to its usefullness!

Does the safety stop countdown show seconds or just minutes? I prefer seconds as the wait seems to take for ever otherwise (purely subjective I know)

Anymore news on a personal computer based logbook yet? Internet based is fine but for extended trips away from internet access it would be nice to review dives on our own computers!

Thanks

Last edited:
Just got my Predator in the mail yesterday. No dives on it as of yet, but I agree that it's quite intuitive. Compared to my VR3, this thing is insanely easy to navigate.

Just some comparison photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• computer 1.jpg
    computer 1.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 863
  • computer 2.jpg
    computer 2.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 637
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back