Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can't include the hardware to support those extra features and be expected to sell it at the same price for those who choose to keep them locked. Once the hardware is built in the price goes up.

thats not true. the hardware is almost cost neglegable. ai is n ot a 200 dollar item in making its but a very few bucks. it does effect the advertizing on battery life though. the hardware costs are not the driving factor. 3 words small sexy and no frills are probably worth 100 dollars of hte price when it comes to convincing buyers they need it. it is what the consumer is willing to pay for it. AI and compass is probably 25 dollars of manufacturing costs. the firmware once made is no cost after so many units are sold. and no additional cost at all when it uses the same firmware as other platforms. firmware does not consume power the hardware does. I wonder how long the battery life is for this if it had compass and AI. 15 hours instead of 35. numbers like 15 hours is a detrement to sales numbers. what was teh preditor 40-60 hours with the ls450.

I usually dive with a Petrel and a Perdix, a drysuit and a BPW. Getting your arms through, especially the Petrel side, is a pain.

The thinner profile will be better for that, whether it is ok for the buttons I don’t know. However I hardly have to press the buttons in the water so all and all I think I would take the thinner profile and the rechargeable battery.

I quite like AI for logging purposes, having a compass is good, but these are not at all show stoppers.

Here a Teric is £1030, a Peregrine is £450 including tax. A Perdix AI about £850. For £480 to £600 you can get a Suunto Eon Core, £200 a Zoop and £300 a Vyper with similar multi gas features. So a Peregrine is still a bit steep (compared to a Vyper) or a bit under featured (compared to an Eon Core) but it has a nice screen and so a justification for the price point.

SBers have talked themselves into the Teric being the dogs bollocks, but here we have a computer less than half the price which actually does what 99% of divers will ever need.

You can see a way forward where they do an AI one and add a compass and make trimix and CCR as unlockable options. The question will be whether that just means they sell £500 computers to people who would actually have bought a £1000 one. Something like £300 for trimix and CCR modes? I suppose they cannot answer that until they see how much addition revenue they see. I think it will be positive as this is a fine computer at a reasonable price point.

I would never recommend a Shearwater to a new diver in the past but now I can recommend this.

Yes, although I was under the impression that the computer and the transmitter/pod were connected via Bluetooth. For my own knowledge, if it isn’t Bluetooth then what type of wireless transmission is going on?
Very long wave, low frequency.

Bluetooth and WiFi are useless in water, almost by design. They exist because the 2.4 GHz band was essentially unlicensed and useless due to leakage from microwave ovens. Those ovens are exciting the water molecules in food to warm it up. This particular frequency is due to the physics of water molecules. The duty cycle of a microwave oven is such that you will get a packet through if you time it right, so data links do work. Traditional analogue radio is not so lucky.

I would never recommend a Shearwater to a new diver in the past but now I can recommend this

While for me not havign the option of AI (whether I choose to use it or not) puts it on "ignore"

Quite a few of my dive friends had old Gallello's or Uwtec etc. They no longer wish to dive Tri-Mix, don't get a hoot about AI nor compass, and while they had some interest in the Perdix, the features vs price wasn't' an incentive

This however may be.

When I'm offering suggestions to other divers, I park my personal opinions and try to convey just facts. I have already let friends know about this as they might be interested. All of them could easily buy multiple Terics, they just choose not too

While for me not havign the option of AI (whether I choose to use it or not) puts it on "ignore"

Quite a few of my dive friends had old Gallello's or Uwtec etc. They no longer wish to dive Tri-Mix, don't get a hoot about AI nor compass, and while they had some interest in the Perdix, the features vs price wasn't' an incentive

This however may be.

When I'm offering suggestions to other divers, I park my personal opinions and try to convey just facts. I have already let friends know about this as they might be interested. All of them could easily buy multiple Terics, they just choose not too
London rents :)

Dubai....

You really don't want to know what we pay for daily stuff
Presumably you get paid enough to make up for the prices and I seem to recall the tax position is better. :)

One of the main ways we lose club members is them realising they can never afford to buy a place to live in London.

Boris is doing his best to fix that by killing people and making London a third class place to do business, so eventually it will even out.

Thanks for the question. Our standard 2 year warranty applies to the Peregrine.
Our extended warranty still applies to our other computer models sold from January 1st, 2020 to December 31st, 2020.
When we first saw your new Peregrine computer and the price, we said perfect, heard a lot of good things about your company in the tech world. We’re in the market for a new new Recreational dive computer and wanted to transition to AI so was a bit disappointed when I found out you guys didn’t include it.

I was just wondering why the decision not to include it and if you plan on including it in the near future?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom