Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ughhhh... that's not so convenient when the pen runs out of ink and you have to lug the physical log or log pages around (and risk loosing or drenching). It's so much easier to Bluetooth all that stuff right to my iPhone immediately post dive. I can easily have a backup on the cloud as well. To each their own, but in in 2020 there great electronic options options (albeit at a cost)...:)
I'm going to make an assumption here, but I am guessing that anyone who can afford (both in terms of extra weight and financial burden) to carry a spare pen or sheet of paper.:)

I have a slate clipped to my gear crate which I record stuff on pre-and-post dive. Transfer to paper later while enjoying a beer.

CaptureSlate.JPG

Does anyone actually have a Peregrine, yet?
I'm reasonably confident that we should be able to download from it.
If you do, could you contact me at Dirk at
Subsurface-divelog.
Dot org?

I do but I don't use subsurface. Let me know if I can be of assistance. I have 1 long dive logged on it so far.

Email sent to @dirkhh

I agree... I wish there were some dive logs that were as good... I kept having bug issues with Subsurface... I think the best I found so far is MacDive... (I normally use a PC, but have access to MacOS and use an iPhone).
I use Dive Log on my iPhone and Diving Log 6.0 on my desktop. They are not free, but they work great, are continually updated and have great support if you have issues - especially on the mobile App (Dive Log).

I use Dive Log on my iPhone and Diving Log 6.0 on my desktop. They are not free, but they work great, are continually updated and have great support if you have issues - especially on the mobile App (Dive Log).
I may give those a shot at some point. I already purchased the MacDive (iOS and Mac apps) and they seem rather good.

That's a good approach. Could also likely get by then with a $200 computer instead of a $450 computer... but the Shearwaters are nice.
But then you wouldn't have Buhlman and SurGF.
For me, seeing my SurGF is the biggest contribution to dive safety EVER. I'm predicting it'll be mainstream in every DC within a decade.

I'm going to make an assumption here, but I am guessing that anyone who can afford (both in terms of extra weight and financial burden) to carry a spare pen or sheet of paper.:)
I was talking more about the need to carry a pen and the physical logbook to begin with. Electronic logging is faster, more convenient and more secure (as backups on computers and the cloud can be seamless). When I come back from a trip I synch the iPhone log to my PC in less than a minute - I can also synch, backup or restore the log book on my iPhone from iCloud directly from my phone.

I was talking more about the need to carry a pen and the physical logbook to begin with. Electronic logging is faster, more convenient and more secure (as backups on computers and the cloud can be seamless). When I come back from a trip I synch the iPhone log to my PC in less than a minute - I can also synch, backup or restore the log book on my iPhone from iCloud directly from my phone.
I'm not convinced by AI, but then I'm still sceptical about electric windows in my car. Witchcraft I tells yah!

As you were.

Electronic logging is faster, more convenient and more secure (as backups on computers and the cloud can be seamless). When I come back from a trip I synch the iPhone log to my PC in less than a minute - I can also synch, backup or restore the log book on my iPhone from iCloud directly from my phone.
Exactly. I really wish that was a thing when I first started diving. I started with the paper log books, but stopped logging for a while, as I really couldn't see me using it as paper logs aren't exactly searchable easily, and can get lost and destroyed.

My first computer had logging capability, but I didn't really use it as I didn't buy the expensive cable separately.
Second computer came with the cable, so I gave the electronic logs a shot. I would download them when I got home from diving. I then really wished I had all my previous dives logged. I used Diverlog for a while, but also started dual logging with Subsurface.

Now I have a Perdix AI, and since it has BLE, I download to Subsurface and SW Cloud on my phone while on my surface interval. Subsurface uses my phone's GPS, so I can log the coordinates of the dive site. When I get home, I run Subsurface and SW Cloud on my laptop and pull down the new dives from the cloud to my computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom