shearwater peregrine as backup computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh the diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
what are peoples thoughts on using the peregrine as a backup computer to start down the path into technical diving. or am I better off getting a perdix? I plan on going CCR, if I go on to trimix diving. I have been looking in to the liberty which uses the freedom computer so I don't feel like I need the trimix capability in my backup computer for OC.

Its a heck of a computer up until you want to do tri-mix...... question is, when will you be doing that? That $450 is pennies on what you will be buying in the future if you actually do go that far... You might be spending that on gas for a dive. it will be fine through AN/DP.

the question boils down more to how you use it as a backup. it will work fine as a gauge mode backup but if you are riding the computer for deco, the interface layout doesn't work as well as the one from the perdix. if your plan is ccr and trimix, then a perdix is a better option as it gives you more flexibility in the future.

the question boils down more to how you use it as a backup. it will work fine as a gauge mode backup but if you are riding the computer for deco, the interface layout doesn't work as well as the one from the perdix. if your plan is ccr and trimix, then a perdix is a better option as it gives you more flexibility in the future.
I currently own a perdix. I just need something for a backup for AN/DP. the CCR I have been looking at does not use shearwater electronics but it comes with two built in computers

Two more things:
I'd carefully consider all my requirements now but not make the final buy until I really had to have it: maybe there'll be a shiny new model by then, and I'd want my "old" perdix to be my backup.
Max depth of the peregrine is "only" 120m, while the perdix, teric, etc. are all rated to 200m. That's probably not a factor for very many, but worth remembering.
Third thing: the peregrine has an internal factory-replaceable battery that requires you carry a charger for, so if you're a big fan of the freedom and reliability of the perdix AA battery configuration, maybe the peregrine isn't for you.

Get another Perdix for backup for AN/DP. A used one would be fine. They hold their value well so you’d be able to sell for a decent price if you want to.

I currently own a perdix. I just need something for a backup for AN/DP. the CCR I have been looking at does not use shearwater electronics but it comes with two built in computers

To me, the Peregrine is either too much or not enough.

Is this a backup that will be put in a pocket? Then forget the Peregrine: a $100 (used) Oceanic or whatever will be fine. In fact, that’s exactly what I use currently. (I’m waiting for the Perdix replacement to make my Perdix my next backup.) But that means my backup is a fixed “paper” plan, and my backup computer is merely a bottom timer.

Are you going to ride your computer for a dynamic deco plan? Then your computer *and* it’s backup is a vital piece of equipment. The peregrine, while possibly adequate before helium, is going to give you an interface with a lot less info. This makes it not as effective in that situation.

So, to me, it comes down to the type of diver and diving you’re going to do. Cutting edge, count on the tech? Two tech-grade computers. Fixed plan and paper backup? Even a peregrine is overkill. Save your money.

Now, if you’re buying something *new*, I’d never buy anything less than the Peregrine. It’s pricepoint and likely resale value makes that a no brainer. But I’d probably pony up to a Perdix if you want to use it in any real function for a tech dive.

If your long range plans are tech don't get a Peregrine. I use a Peregrine as a backup computer and love it for that. However, I no longer tech dive and have no plans to. If I were still a tech diver I would have never bought a Peregrine. I would have bought another Perdix.

Just get a cheap gauge and tables.

Your predix turns into your standalone backup on the liberty (assuming you eventually decide to go CCR and that particluar unit at all).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom