Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater decided to not include safety stop in their Guesstimated Time Remaining display. Shearwater decided to limit their firmware to only 2 tanks. End of discussion.
Shearwater seems to have listened to us with regards to wireless AI. Perhaps they will again consider suggestions for improvements on future product updates. Several have been suggested in this thread. It could be all goodness.

This thread is about people attacking each others beliefs in weather or not AI is a useful tool for a diver.

Personally, I try to attack flaws in their arguments.

I still vote that Im keeping my B&G SPGs over a $350 transmitter because I am cheap. however in the future if I upgrade my computer I would get one with the AI capability.

I resemble that remark.

Shearwater seems to have listened to us with regards to wireless AI. Perhaps they will again consider suggestions for improvements on future product updates. Several have been suggested in this thread. It could be all goodness.

Well, yes, there's always the next firmware update based on customer feedback. Given what GTR is, I'm not sure that one way of handling the optional stops problem is "less bad" than the other -- my vote would be for turning the GTR display off and using the screen space for something else -- but really, those are what? 5 posts out of 500?

Just an FYI to those looking for transmitters.. I landed a brand new Oceanic transmitter (exactly like the one that you get with the Perdix AI combo) on Ebay for $150 shipped..
I certainly was not going to pay $350 for one.. Gadget geek or not..

I still vote that Im keeping my B&G SPGs over a $350 transmitter because I am cheap. however in the future if I upgrade my computer I would get one with the AI capability.

How else do you keep it going for 500+ posts?

Some people like WAI. Shearwater decided to not include safety stop in their Guesstimated Time Remaining display. Shearwater decided to limit their firmware to only 2 tanks. End of discussion.
Shearwater launched with those specifications, but that does not mean they won't makes changes based on user feedback in later firmware updates. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with folks discussing desires/concerns as Shearwater participates in these forums and might find user perspective valuable.

I'm happy with the specs as launched - but always open to improvements.

Converting back-mount regs to side-mount with AI. I wonder what percentage of this could be considered DIR? I mean... those are genuine Halcyon SPG's after all.. :callme:

Attachments

• 20161206_205547.jpg
    20161206_205547.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 79
You've posted the same damn list at least 3 times now, probably more. Why can't you just leave it alone. This is not religion, nobody is going to convert anyone else. Why is this so important to you? This thread quit being at all useful quite a while ago. Luckily, I have the luxury of waiting to see what Perdix AI becomes following all the feedback.

Actually, the thread started out as people civilly discussing what they personally perceive as the the benefits of AI and how Shearwater implemented it. Unfortunately, a certain individual then took us off the rails by telling us how silly and unnecessary AI is... and now we've gone further of the rails because that individual is so bent on being right/having the last word that he has not really read what he is responding to (if he had, he'd see that he is saying the same thing that Stuart already has...).
I do not need AI at this point ( at the same time I am no anti-AI), some of you do. Each to his own. Individual you talk about contacted me on PM,and to cut story short, I suggested him to back off, and he agreed. Well, that haven't materialized yet,so......why the H*LL you keep answering to him?
I do understand what he is talking about, probably all of you do, but if you keep confronting him, he'll keep coming back.

Maybe my point of view on the subject comes down to me (and my wife) having drunk the proverbial Kool-Aid about a system of diving recreationally that borrows from the tech diving world. Four years or so ago I asked the Scubanati here a simple question that I see lots of divers asking here from time to time: "What can I do to become a better, safer diver?" The chorus replied: "Take GUE Fundamentals." I guess I have it in my head that every diver on SB would like to go down this same sort of path,.

I came to the conclusion 2 or 3 months ago that I would like to take Fundies and, eventually, get a Tech pass.

When I do take that class, I will modify my rig in whatever ways are required by the instructor, no problem. If I have to remove my AI transmitter, no problem.

When I'm done with the class, I'll keep whatever changes I feel make me a better diver and get rid of the changes that don't. I don't think having AI makes anyone a better or worse diver. Everyone should have an SPG. I fully expect that after the class is over I will put the AI transmitter right back on my rig and move on.

My motivation for taking the class is to improve my diving skills (buoyancy control, trim, etc.) such that they become good enough to earn a Tech pass. Learning new mental skills is great. Having additional tools in the toolbox is generally good. But, I feel pretty confident when I say that, if/when I earn a Tech pass, I am not going to start limiting myself to using standardized gases, calculating my ascents in my head, etc..

I'm pretty sure I can have a drink of the Kool-Aid without becoming addicted. ;-)

I came to the conclusion 2 or 3 months ago that I would like to take Fundies and, eventually, get a Tech pass.

When I do take that class, I will modify my rig in whatever ways are required by the instructor, no problem. If I have to remove my AI transmitter, no problem.

When I'm done with the class, I'll keep whatever changes I feel make me a better diver and get rid of the changes that don't. I don't think having AI makes anyone a better or worse diver. Everyone should have an SPG. I fully expect that after the class is over I will put the AI transmitter right back on my rig and move on.

My motivation for taking the class is to improve my diving skills (buoyancy control, trim, etc.) such that they become good enough to earn a Tech pass. Learning new mental skills is great. Having additional tools in the toolbox is generally good. But, I feel pretty confident when I say that, if/when I earn a Tech pass, I am not going to start limiting myself to using standardized gases, calculating my ascents in my head, etc..

I'm pretty sure I can have a drink of the Kool-Aid without becoming addicted. ;-)
The few GUE divers I've talked to in person are far less draconian than GUE divers on scubaboard sound. I spent several hours discussing GUE at length with one of them during a scubaboard event at Ginnie Springs a year or two ago. I have no doubt you will benefit from the class.

Stuart, when I walked into the Fundies class I had a similar attitude, and I think it's not uncommon: After the course was over, I would pick and choose from what I learned, adopt the stuff that made sense, ditch the stuff that didn't, etc., rather than be one of those inflexible "DIR" people. All I can say is that it has been two years since the Fundies course, and I have not yet done any of that sort of mix-and-matching, or at least I haven't deviated from the core stuff. However, that doesn't mean I won't in the future. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that there are some people who consider themselves GUE divers and use AI nonetheless--there are no GUE police. As standardization (of gear, procedures, and gases) is a core principle, maybe they would "standardize" within their team, with everyone using AI?--I have no idea. I'm certain that there are people who consider themselves GUE divers who don't always have a "standard gas" such as 32% in their tanks. I'm also certain that plenty of people who consider themselves GUE divers do not dive exactly the way they were taught in class, though they probably try to apply the core principles.

For a rec diver, the GUE way can be a radical departure from what other agencies teach, because GUE's principles have their roots in tec. For a tec diver, what GUE teaches differs from what other agencies teach mainly in the aspects that you imply you aren't likely to adopt. So, if you're only looking to improve buoyancy/trim/control skills and not interested in the "system" as a whole, Fundies would be overkill, in my opinion. You already know how to frog kick, flutter kick, back kick, etc. If I were you, I would ask around among the experienced tech diver types here on SB if someone would spend a day with me working on my skills, either as pro bono mentoring or for compensation. GUE instructors don't teach buoyancy/trim/control differently from any other tec instructors--they just have a stricter standard for what qualifies as a "tech pass," such as no more than 20 degrees off horizontal trim, etc. Any experienced tec diver could simply observe you and tell you whether you are performing at the same level that GUE calls a "tech pass." As with much other training, the card is worth nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom