Shearwater Nerd for PSD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the HUD still visible in black water? That would seem very useful for a PSD.
Exactly. SPG is adequate when viz permits seeing and reading anything. A product I would like to see developed is a light mounted on FFM that illuminates at a pre-set minimum tank pressure. Or, a "talking" gauge that transmitted into the com system so diver and tender could hear it. BTW our dive team practice is to limit dive times to 20 minute intervals and monitor respiration. We also have a diver on the surface with a spare 80 that can be connected into the diver's switch block in less than a minute.

For rescue, analog gauges means one less thing to have to fool with before going in. No batteries, no fuss. For recovery, where you may spend hours or even days searching, computers are really handy. All the PSD courses I've taken and PSD materials I've read stress that you should limit PSD dives to 20 minutes. We follow that guideline for the most part so pulling my gauge or wrist computer up to my mask a few times isn't a big deal. The only time I have been annoyed with pressure checks has been when diving in heavy current.

As for the Nerd itself, it's an awfully expensive item that a $200 computer can do. When multiple divers are considered, that's a lot of money that can be used for a good sonar upgrade, drysuits, etc. If you are spending your own money, it's a cool and potentially handy little computer.

Good points being raised! If money we're no object I would buy one, but it's true that it is a lot of money. Also, I will not always be diving FFM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom