Shearwater for a newbie ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe Shearwater computers will eventually run on AAA battery instead of AA making it smaller. I bet many Petrel or Perdix owners would upgrade.

I highly doubt that. As an owner of the Perdix AI and Perdix, I don't see what would need to be upgraded that firmware upgrades don't already cover. Something as trivial as a slightly smaller dive computer width wise is not interesting whatsoever. If I had a previous generation Shearwater, I'd have that and the Perdix AI.

I highly doubt that. As an owner of the Perdix AI and Perdix, I don't see what would need to be upgraded that firmware upgrades don't already cover. Something as trivial as a slightly smaller dive computer width wise is not interesting whatsoever. If I had a previous generation Shearwater, I'd have that and the Perdix AI.

I was just using battery size as an example of what future technology might bring. What was considered the top computer 10, 7, 5 years ago ? I am sure people also thought nothing needed to be upgraded when they bought the current top of the line. What is the difference between a Petrel and Perdix ? Looks like a slightly smaller computer. Trivial to some, important to others.

What made you decide to buy the Perdix ? What did you use before ?

Last edited:
I was just using battery size as an example of what future technology might bring. What was considered the top computer 10, 7, 5 years ago ? I am sure people also thought nothing needed to be upgraded when they bought the current top of the line.

What made you decide to buy the Perdix ? What did you use before ?

I had an Aeris A300 CS. Nice computer. Worked well, just had horrible battery life. I bought the Perdix for getting into tech diving. Now that I have experience with it, I believe that there is a lot of functionality that is useful for rec-only divers. And it is just so easy to use. I have never found any other dive computer to have such an easy to navigate UI.

You don't know what future technology will bring. Smaller sizes, longer battery life, better screens, who knows ? Many people buy something new or upgrade not because they need to, they just want the latest and greatest.

The $200 computer will serve a new diver fine. They may never out grow it or it might take years before it happens. By that time, something new will come out.

Maybe Shearwater computers will eventually run on AAA battery instead of AA making it smaller. I bet many Petrel or Perdix owners would upgrade.

I don't think so. the hardware differences are nice but the real meat of the DC is the deco algorithms, and as far as i know they are the same algorithms on all models. IE If ZHL-16C in on one model it is on all models. they dont quit updating the older units like predator and continue on the perdex.

I'd be curious what might be the capabilities of a PDC in 5-10 years..... Look at the changes in the last 5 years regarding the SW line.....
Predator -> Petrel -> Petrel2 -> Pedrix -> PedrixAI -> ?????

How many folks have bought and then "had" to upgrade?

It is as silly as the SmartPhone "must have" chasers....

Remember: Better is the enemy of good enough
Later
John

I don't think so. the hardware differences are nice but the real meat of the DC is the deco algorithms, and as far as i know they are the same algorithms on all models. IE If ZHL-16C in on one model it is on all models. they dont quit updating the older units like predator and continue on the perdex.
Did anyone who had a Predator buy a Petrel or Perdix ? I bet some did and that kind of supports what I am saying.

I'm still diving my first computer (2 years, 250 dives). I know it like the palm of my hand and it covers my needs so I don't have the urge to replace it.

One more thing to keep in mind maybe, since you're located in France the availability of service might be an issue.

I'm pretty sure, you can drop any ScubaPro, Mares, Aqualung etc. at a nearby LDS for service, repair or whatever in Europe. Shearwater might be a bit of a problem around here - especially when it comes to repair and the device needs to be sent across the pond effectively ridding you of it for a couple of weeks.
[Edit: This has been set straight by SW. They have a service partner in the UK with a 5 day return policy.]

I would actually probably go for an OSTC 4 especially since - unlike Shearwater - it has not a plastic but a solid monobloc aluminium body, a sealed battery compartment and isn't completely bricked if the o-ring breaks for whatever reason and floods the entire device making it an expensive paperweight.

Edit: Same problem with the availability of service applies to Heinrichs Weikamp as well as to SW, but at least it's just shipped within good old Europe. Same with Suunto, but they have an excellent mail-in service.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:
Thank you all for these great answers.

One more thing, I've seen many CCR computers without any cable interface for CCR devices. How exactly is it used in CCR mode ? Isn't the computer meant to keep an eye on the pO2 (among other things) ?

I'm still diving my first computer (2 years, 250 dives). I know it like the palm of my hand and it covers my needs so I don't have the urge to replace it.

One more thing to keep in mind maybe, since you're located in France the availability of service might be an issue.

I'm pretty sure, you can drop any ScubaPro, Mares, Aqualung etc. at a nearby LDS for service, repair or whatever in Europe. Shearwater might be a bit of a problem around here - especially when it comes to repair and the device needs to be sent across the pond effectively ridding you of it for a couple of weeks.

I would actually probably go for an OSTC 4 especially since - unlike Shearwater - it has not a plastic but a solid monobloc aluminium body, a sealed battery compartment and isn't completely bricked if the o-ring breaks for whatever reason and floods the entire device making it an expensive paperweight.

Edit: Same problem with the availability of service applies to Heinrichs Weikamp as well as to SW, but at least it's just shipped within good old Europe. Same with Suunto, but they have an excellent mail-in service.

Cheers,
Peter

For any of our European customers that don't know, Shearwater has had a service center in the UK since we started selling into Europe. Narked at 90 embraces our mandate for a 5 day repair turnaround time so customers often receive their units back within the week.

Lynn Partridge

For any of our European customers that don't know, Shearwater has had a service center in the UK since we started selling into Europe. Narked at 90 embraces our mandate for a 5 day repair turnaround time so customers often receive their units back within the week.

Lynn Partridge

Thanks for the info Lynn! I stand corrected :)

Cheers,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom