Shearwater for a newbie ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polomelo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I have 30 dives, I started a few months ago and I am almost certain to keep on diving (and I am REALLY interested in Trimix and CCR, I know it's too early but I am fascinated by technical diving theory). Should I get a Mares Puck Pro or Suunto Novo (about 200$ around here in France) to start with or should I get a more advanced computer such as the SW Perdix (highly praised most of the time) early on? I am looking for something that will still be great in 5-10 years... Is it usual to keep a dive computer that long?

Thank you!
Paul

it is normal to keep a dive computer until either it dies, or you outgrow it. You won't outgrow a Perdix. even on CCR it can be used as a standalone monitor.

In Europe you also have OSTC from Heinrichs Weikamp which are well loved. The buttons aren't for everyone, but it's available to you in Europe and not to us in the US, so make sure to look at it

I'd be curious what might be the capabilities of a PDC in 5-10 years..... Look at the changes in the last 5 years regarding the SW line.....
Predator -> Petrel -> Petrel2 -> Pedrix -> PedrixAI -> ?????

How many folks have bought and then "had" to upgrade?

It is as silly as the SmartPhone "must have" chasers....

Just my own opinion, as a Shearwater Petrel owner :

- very easy to read, especially in Rec Mode, you'll love it.

But on the other hand, many friends of mine use a Puck for diving on air up to 40 m (and to be honest sometimes deeper) and are very satisfied with it. Price is easy on the Puck, not so on a Shearwater.

Will any of them last 10 years... Well, in 27 years a diving I had 5 computers :

1st one lasted about 3 years,
2nd one : 10 years,
3rd one : 5 years,
4th and 5th : are both on duty since 2 years.

Have your own conclusions.

BTW, where are you diving in France ?

Do you mean there were no major (that would justify an upgrade) technological change between Predator, Petrel and Perdix? So it all comes down to durability... OSTC Plus is aluminum alloy, it might last longer than a SW. But I feel like I'm not in a position to assess their features (especially algorithms).

I'm glad there are some French people too! I am mostly diving in Marseille and Port-Cros, and quarries around Lyon. What about you?

@rhwestfall

predator-original
petrel-replaced with a new screen, smaller form factor, use of standard AA batteries, and recreational nitrox-*my computer, purchased in 2014
petrel 2-added digital compass and ability to sync with iOS
perdix-new case design and improved screen
perdix ai-added WAI capability

All of this in 8 years.

No features for most people that warranty an upgrade form a Predator. The OLED screen will wear out eventually which will be only reason to upgrade unless you want rec nitrox mode.

I have no reason to upgrade from my Petrel 1. I don't care about iOS syncing, and don't need a digital compass.
I prefer the case size of the Petrel so have no desire to upgrade to the Perdix. If the Perdix AI has reasonably priced transmitters, I'd consider upgrading, but it's not cost effective, so nope.

I don't think we're going to see a lot of "breakthrough's" in the next 5 years in computer technology. Step changes, but nothing radical

I only have 40 dives and I have a Puck and Petrel 2. I got a used Petrel 2 off the classifieds here on scubaboard. The Puck was fine, but the one button was getting on my nerves. I really liked the screen and layout and how I could grow into the computer as I progress. Like tbone said, I'll never outgrow it, even if one day I decide to go tech. I don't regret the purchase one bit, the computer is very easy to read even in low light/viz conditions.

My one advice is to read as much as you can about deco theory and gradient factors. You have 3 options in rec mode, but you should at least have a basic understanding of each. If you search the archives you can read a lot about it. I read Deep Into Deco, I didn't find it to be the easiest reading book, although I still learned a lot. I'm going to be purchasing Deco for Divers by Mark Powell in the near future.

One thing to consider. The shearwater is not going to hold your hand, so if you are looking for something to be a "Bitching Betty" this is not that computer. If you have a good habit of checking your computer regularly and you are aware of yourself during ascents, then it's a non issue, but if not you will go into deco and not hear a peep from the computer (this may be a setting you can have on the perdix, I don't know)

Is this what you need now based on where you are in terms of diving experience:

Ordinateur de plongée i300

This dive computer range will cover all of your needs from recreational to advanced technical diving (from Italy):

Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

From your profile and experience, it will be a while for you to reach technical diving level and the relevant computers will have more and better features at that time than they do now. Buy the computer with the features you want/need when you need it.

Last edited:
But I feel like I'm not in a position to assess their features (especially algorithms).

I believe OSTC, Shearwater, and Ratio will all run ZHL-16C with gradient factors or VPM-B (though I think OSTC4 can run them as and instead of or). There's some amount of wiggle room in the implementation, but for practical purposes their algorithms should be as close to identical as it gets.

You don't know what future technology will bring. Smaller sizes, longer battery life, better screens, who knows ? Many people buy something new or upgrade not because they need to, they just want the latest and greatest.

The $200 computer will serve a new diver fine. They may never out grow it or it might take years before it happens. By that time, something new will come out.

Maybe Shearwater computers will eventually run on AAA battery instead of AA making it smaller. I bet many Petrel or Perdix owners would upgrade.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom