Shearwater Desktop vs Shearwater Cloud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does any know if you can import Shearwater Cloud Desktop into Diving Log?

Have been able to import Shewater Desktop into Diving Log, however now need to use Shearwater Cloud Desktop.

Would be curious to know as well, couldn't find a way to export the data anywhere.

Have been able to import Shewater Desktop into Diving Log, however now need to use Shearwater Cloud Desktop.
There is an export option. I'm using a slightly older version on Mac, as some of the newer versions don't seem to work on my old Macbook. At the top of the window, I see a row of buttons. The one on the left hand side is called "File".

Click that, and it should give you some options to Export. On my version, I had several options, but only one seemed functional. Not sure if it was due to the limitations of the particular version I am using, my Mac, or some combination.

I was already using Subsurface before I got my Shearwater, so Export didn't really matter to me.

Try the forum over at the DivingLog website. Sven (the programmer) has always responded when I had questions/issues. I would be surprised if there isn't already something there. I do remember that before you could download directly from the Shearwater computer to DivingLog, you had to download with Shearwater's program and DivingLog could read from the Shearwater program's database. I know it did it for Shearwater Desktop, but I'm not sure about Shearwater Cloud. Cloud does let you export the database (as a *.db file) and if I recall correctly, that is what DivingLog would import from with Desktop. You can create a dummy logbook in Diving Log and try that exported db file from Cloud and see if it works. That way you don't screw up what other dives you already have and you can switch back to your "real" log if it works and do it for real (but I would still back it up just in case).

-Edit-
Just tried it with Cloud and it worked for me. Just go to File...export Database and save it where you can find it. When Cloud asks if you want to go to that location, I'd just hit close (I don't know if that will cause CLoud to start using that as it's save location). Then just go into DivingLog and use the import from shearwater desktop, and navigate to that file. You may be able to read from one of the files in the shearwater cloud program folder (Cloud still stores the dives somewhere on your machine), but I don't know which one and I didn't try it. Whatever you try, I'd save a copy of your DivingLog logbook before I import.

@shearewater
1. Is it planned to add dive planner to mobile app?
2. How to extract to file a dive on mobile for upload to external software like subsurface?
3. Will it be web version instead of desktop app?

Well I hope desktop continues to work going forward.

I have really tried to use Cloud. Total Fail so far with hours of trying over many month and updates.

I am forced to use it while Macdive updates their software for the Perdix 2 (which, I pray, is soon). I absolutely HATE Shearwater cloud. Does the job for upgrades, but it's disappointing as a log. No manual, either, so I have to engage on a journey of exploration to not find a feature I need that probably doesn't exist (like downloading dives so I can import them into Macdive).

I may try to download the desktop version.

Why, oh why does a company with such great hardware have such disappointing software?

I am forced to use it while Macdive updates their software for the Perdix 2 (which, I pray, is soon). I absolutely HATE Shearwater cloud. Does the job for upgrades, but it's disappointing as a log. No manual, either, so I have to engage on a journey of exploration to not find a feature I need that probably doesn't exist (like downloading dives so I can import them into Macdive).

Why, oh why does a company with such great hardware have such disappointing software?
Perdix holds a lot of dives. You don’t have to use Shearwater Cloud to download. Just wait until MacDive updates their software.

Same question here, especially when we think of the customer service, the best I've ever been in touch with. Anyway, as far as dive computers are concerned (whatever the brand) software were always and still are the weakest point of the story. Truly disappointing.

They have greatly improved it in the last year. It's still slow and not very responsive but the Bluetooth connectivity has vastly improved. Failing to connect was the most frustrating aspect of Shearwater Cloud and that is no longer an issue.

I HATE the cloud and quickly gave up on the Shearwater service. As said above, the only thing Shearwater software is good for Is updating my Perdix. I, along with several dive buddies, use DiveLog app on our iPhones/iPads. It works GREAT. Bluetooth connects easily with Perdix. I type details in on iPad and easily and quickly share it to my iPhone so I always have my logbook available. Just my 2 cents worth. The attached pic is the snapshot of the DiveLog app icon….

Attachments

• 8BFA7C0F-106E-4137-9835-FAE13DED8165.jpeg
    8BFA7C0F-106E-4137-9835-FAE13DED8165.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 43
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom