Shearwater AI transmitter in rec sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure this has been said multiple times, but the whole AI thing looks like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. What's the advantage over an SPG? You should already know your SAC rate, it will change over time but if you check it from your logs every so often you have a pretty good idea. The AI computer isn't changing it's deco algorithm as far as I know (please let me know if some company is believed to have made this adjustment). You should be doing a complete valve drill in including your deco tanks at the start of the dive, so you know your gas is in good shape. As far as I can tell a SPG is less of an entanglement hazard, far more reliable, and provides the same function as the AI transmitter. I'm fairly baffled as to why folks want them.

I'm sure this has been said multiple times, but the whole AI thing looks like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. What's the advantage over an SPG? You should already know your SAC rate, it will change over time but if you check it from your logs every so often you have a pretty good idea. The AI computer isn't changing it's deco algorithm as far as I know (please let me know if some company is believed to have made this adjustment). You should be doing a complete valve drill in including your deco tanks at the start of the dive, so you know your gas is in good shape. As far as I can tell a SPG is less of an entanglement hazard, far more reliable, and provides the same function as the AI transmitter. I'm fairly baffled as to why folks want them.

There are hundreds of posts, on this very board, answering all your questions, if you care to go look for them.

In short: Nobody says they NEED it. The notion that an instrument on the end of a 26" (or whatever) hose is less of an entanglement hazard than a small pod mounted directly on the 1st stage and pointed down (towards the cylinder) or to the side is of dubious credibility. I haven't seen anyone yet post any actual data to support the statement that an SPG is "far more reliable" as compared to the current state of the art in AI technology.

I orient my reg and transmitter so that the transmitter points down, from the valve towards the tank.

Depending on the 1st stage, it seems like that would be feasible even in sidemount. Oriented that way, I don't feel like it's an entanglement hazard, and it doesn't seem like a likely place for anyone to grab when lifting the tank. But then, I don't dive sidemount, so what do I know. :) Maybe there is no way to get satisfactory hose routing with the 1st stage turned like that...?

I do it the same way. Depending on what kind of first stage you have, you can easily aim the transmitter down so it is perpendicular to the valve handle and ends above the top of the tank. It goes down as much as a 6" hose would when you bend it into a U and zip tie it to itself with a traditional SPG. Just as streamlined, doesn't stick out to the sides at all, can't be confused with a valve handle, and it is not any more entanglement risk than a normal hose and SPG in that same area.

It's not about finding solution to a problem or NEEDING them. It's a nice piece of technology and at this point is a vanity item. It's extremely reliable and is nice to have your pressure on your wrist at all times. Do I need my pressure on my wrist? No. I only look at my gauges maybe 3-4 times a dive just to verify what I already know/expect it to be based on my known consumption. But if you can afford one or can pick one up for cheap, they are really nice to just have. It displays information in a non cluttered interface and is easier than unclipping your spg on the L around 3 deco tanks slung on the L. If you can afford it it's nice to have but it's by no means necessary.

Ok vanity item it is.
In terms of the best routing you might look at adding a right angle adapter -> 6" hose to the manifold option to get it a little more stream lined and put a dedicated flat hose retainer band on the tank to keep the transmitter out of the way. It's another o-ring junction but will probably be a little cleaner. If your worried about hitting the transmitter, you might aqua-seal a small neoprene pad on the tank side of the transmitter to protect it and isolate it from the metal.
My view of the reliability of AI transmitters may be colored from having seen so many with issues over the years. They may now be reliable. Having worked on boats with lots of customers gives me a limited sample of data, but I have yet to see a problem with an SPG (I have seen O-rings bulge out) vs many problems with the transmitters.
If your running deco tanks just use a button SPG, you did your gas planning before the dive and have enough. If I understand your comment above about 3 deco tanks, you are implying a 5 tank dive. Thats a little cluttered in general, I wouldn't want to add to that in any way. If you do think you have found a good solution please come back and post a pic or two if you can.

I'm very new to sidemount but reading all the post in this thread, why no one would suggest to put the AI on a bit longer hose so that it can be tucked to the bands that hold the regs hoses. And SPG can be either a button or on a short hose.

I have a swivel first stage so I can arrange the AI point downward but I still think the set up above would be better?

I'm very new to sidemount but reading all the post in this thread, why no one would suggest to put the AI on a bit longer hose so that it can be tucked to the bands that hold the regs hoses. And SPG can be either a button or on a short hose.

I have a swivel first stage so I can arrange the AI point downward but I still think the set up above would be better?

I have both spg and transmitter pointing down towards the tank. Needed to get an adapter for this to work with my apeks sm reg set, but love the outcome.

No problem for me to tuck the both in the top band this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom