She Surfs, I Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dspeeds

New
Reaction score
We are going to be in Costa Rica from the 3rd to the 9th of January. Given the girlfriend loves to surf and I love to dive, we figured Costa Rica would be a good vacation spot. However, I'm having trouble finding the right "home base" for our trip because neither of us want to be near Tamarindo. I've been researching for a while and cannot find good answers, so figured I would try to post - which I have never done before. So...here are my questions:

1) she wants a Nosara like town (quiet, lots of surfing). There does not seem to be any diving near Nosara, however. As such, can anyone suggest a place with lotsa waves/surfing where I can still access Catalina/Bats that is NOT Tamarindo? I do not mind paying for a nicer hotel either, but prefer to be somewhere quiet where we can surf AND scuba

2) My reading indicates the northwest is where the best diving is. I've also read about Herradura, etc. Any thoughts on which is better? I'd love to at least have a chance to see a manta.

3) we are flying into LIR and out of San Jose, so figured we would try to do North and South dive/surf. We have a car. Any thoughts on this would also be most helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help - there is 20" of snow in New York right now so certainly looking forward to being in Costa Rica next week!

Best,
David

I have never been to Costa Rica before, so I don't have any suggestions for you, but I am curious to know your reasons for not wanting to be in Tamarindo. I am going there on the 18th of January. I am staying with a friend who is staying there for the whole winter. That is the reason I am going there.

Hopefully you find a good place to stay. Have a good trip.

A few years ago I remember seeing a dive shop in Samara when we were staying in Nosara on a surf trip. This was before I started diving so I really can't comment on how good the shop is or how the diving is there.

I haven't been to Costa Rica either, but the girl has. She would like to avoid tamarindo given she describes it as a very commercial tourist mecca (i.e., lots of chains, TCBY/Subway, HSBC, etc) and a little more busier than some of the very relaxing off the beaten track quieter towns. On her last trip to CR, she cut short her Tamarindo stay and went south to Nosara which was apparently ideal.

But we live in NYC so I think every time we vacation we prefer a little bit more isolation than most - I haven't experienced it directly so please don't allow me to be an alarmist.

A suggestion for a less busy spot might be to rent a house on the beach in Esterillos. We did this in '07...pretty much had the beach to ourselves and surfed right out front the whole time. You are 30 min to Jaco for surfboard rentals and more mellow waves along with touristy activities, 20 minutes to Hermosa, 40 min to Herradura for diving and an hour or so to Manuel Antonio for additional diving and touristy options.

Other options could be to stay somewhere half an hour or so from Tamarindo, (Avellana) rent a house and then just drive to the dive ops on the days you want to dive.

It's too bad you've already booked Costa Rica. Bocas del Toro, Panama has good diving and good surfing. There is an excellent dive operation there, Bocas Water Sports. Well worth checking out ... if not for this trip, your next one.

I haven't been to Costa Rica either, but the girl has. She would like to avoid tamarindo given she describes it as a very commercial tourist mecca (i.e., lots of chains, TCBY/Subway, HSBC, etc) and a little more busier than some of the very relaxing off the beaten track quieter towns. On her last trip to CR, she cut short her Tamarindo stay and went south to Nosara which was apparently ideal.

But we live in NYC so I think every time we vacation we prefer a little bit more isolation than most - I haven't experienced it directly so please don't allow me to be an alarmist.

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense. I have heard that about Tamarindo. But I have also heard that it is not hard to find some isolated areas to just relax and chill out. Have fun on your trip. I think I am going to be doing my diving with AquacenterDiving. It is in Flamingo beach, about 30 minutes north of Tamarindo. The rest of the time, I hope to be just sitting on the beach, or by the pool with rum watering down the blood in my veins.

I would be interested in hearing how your trip went. I am a life long surfer that just got into scuba diving recently. I have been to Costa Rica 4 times to surf, and have avoivded Tamarindo for the same reasons you are. I have been looking into places to go so I could surf and dive. One place might be to stay in Playas Del Coco for the diving and apparently you can catch a boat from there that will take you up to Witches Rock. Or she can drive south to Playa Grande, not sure how far of a drive that is. The boat part might be a bit of a hassle, as I like to just wake up and walk out my front door to the surf.

Another option would be to stay in Mal Pais/Santa Theresa area on the southern tip of the Nicoya Peninnsula. I have stayed there twice and it is my favorite spot in Costa Rica. There is great surf and the town is pretty mellow. Its close to Cabuya/Montezuma as well. I understand there is good diving/snorkeling at Tortuga Island which you can get to by boat from Montezuma. The drive from Mal Pais to Montezuma is pretty easy, maybe 30 minutes.

I realize this is all moot as you are already down there. Pura Vida.

A bit south of Nosara and Playa Guiones/Playa Pelada is Samara where Pura Vida Dive is running a local dive operation: Pura Vida Dive
For good an experienced surfers, Playa Hermosa a few miles south of Jaco/Herradura (where we operate) is a laid back surf village with big waves and strong currents.
More south you will find Esterillo and even more south Domenical for surfers but both have no dive shop near.

Chris

we are planning a February trip to visit our daughter in Dominical & dive-I suspect being a so. Florida, Honduras, Belize, Caribbean diver that we will find our type of water on the Caribbean side. does anyone have any experience in CR?
dive resorts, dive operators, hotels?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom