Sharm in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phish-phood

Reaction score
A few of us have just booked a trip to the Red Sea in January for a number of reasons, we get free diving for five days and me being an Irish redhead means it is about the only time it is cool enough for me :)

Anyway any of you guys been there in Jan, what is it like, what kind of life can we expect to see??? Had a quick look around the net but not much info to be found :rainbow:

but a couple of guys and I are also heading for Sharm on January 20th. We'll be staying at Camel Dive Club, which I understand has not only a great dive operation, but a fine bar, as well. Diving should be good with water temps around 20 or a bit higher. Air about the same.

It will be much warmer than Northern Europe at any rate and perhaps even better visibility and more to see. :D

When are you goping and with whom are you diving?

Phil

I just came back from Sharm:( . Air temperature 30 and more, but no problem (we have snow here in Slovenia). Dives vere great (especialy early morning 6am). On Thistlegorm wreck was to many people but nice anyway. The best dives were in Ras Guzlani.
New reef not to many divers and a lot of fish life.

Not sure who we are diving with or een where we are staying yet! We just booked yesterday totally on the spur of the moment and were told it had to be paid by Friday, with the dive show this weekend and my eye on some new kit to finish off my set-up I am now in the situation where I need to figure out how to have enough money for both lol!!
We have booked through explorers and as far as I know the diving is through Ocean College. We will probably do local dives for the first couple of days as two of the group will have only just done AOW.

I lived there for a year and although it is warmer than Europe (most of the time) it can be quite windy so take a warm coat for immediately after the dive.

The water temp never drops below 22 all the way down to 1200 metres and normally it is about 24-25 at this time.

Catch it on a good day and you could trogg up to the Gubal straits (Jackson, Woodhouse etc) and on a really good day (No wind at all) most operators will attempt Thistlegorm.

There is very little big stuff around at this time of the year, but the viz is always between 15-25 metres ... go to Ras Mohammed (a must)

Ocean College is a superb set up with very professional management and freindly staff. The Camel Bar is where the expats hang out and if you are there on a Saturday night then there is a little live blues band with my mate Chad on his harmonica.

Scubababy and I will be at the Dive Show. We are travelling up Sat am, staying over Sat night for beers and food, then travelling back Sun afternoon.
We normally use Scuba Jim's stand to congregate and drink his vodka, so come and join us.

If you want to pm either me or Abby then we can say hi (if you want)

Thanks for that :wink:

Had some interesting discussions about Sharm with a very experienced diver last night. Think it may have made the couple coming with us more nervous and certainly made me think twice about bringing a buddy line!!! lol

Stories about people getting swept off the thistlegorm and being picked up twenty miles off the wreck or not being picked up for three days!! Or needing to be picked up by another boat etc. Thistlegorm is probably a bit much for most of us at this stage of our diving career but thinking we will probably do the Dunraven (I love wreck dives) and then Ras Mohammad and maybe Tiran, guess it depends on who else is on the boat with us. I am definitely doing a night dive though it sounds so good!! :wink:

Will be at the dive show on Sat aswell so may try a pop round to Scuba Jims stand. Already aranged to meet so many people and now have the added problem of trying to find a wetsuit for January so not sure how we'll be for time but definitely do our best :)

Thanks for the info Belushi and Phishfood! We'll be staying and diving with Camel, so we'll know where to drink in the evenings. Anything else we should know about Sharm in January? And what dives do you recommend for a couple of AOW divers that are not too advanced? Jackson and Woodhouse Reefs look pretty good and as much of Ras Mohammed as possible, but what about the sites within a few minutes of Sharm?

Thanks for the help!

Phil

I would say that 90% of Sharm's dives have something for everyone, so the local stuff is, or can be, just as interesting as the Tiran/Ras Mo stuff.

If you have the urge for an OBSCENELY early start then St Katharine's monastery is a nice start to the day.

Pirates Bar is also a local ex-pat hang out ... good beer and nice staff.

There is a restaurant that overlooks one of the dive sites that, in the evening, it is a great place for a special evening out ... it has a lighthouse on the cliff, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the cursed thing! But many a pleasant night was spent playing backgammon, smoking apple shisha (!) and drink beer.

And if you like house parties you can also drop by the Sanafir Hotel - very close to the Camel Bar. Every thursdat they have a hughe house party - said to be the best after Ibiza in whole Europe.
More details here:
www.sharmevents.com

And as it was written before - better take some warm clothes - you are going to need them in the evenings and after diving. January and mainly February are the coldest months in Sinai - last February on 11pm the air temperature was droping to plus 4 Centigrades.
I do know Sharm quite well so if you have any other questions - let me know
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom