Sharkskin v Neoprene Hooded Vest (or similar)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noshirts

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I've just been for a dive in my 5mm wetsuit in 20C water and found it a little chilly.

Never enjoyed wearing hoods but usually they've been a part of big, not particularly well fitting, 2 piece hired wetsuits. Am looking at getting a hood or more likely hooded vest (do get some cold water down the back of my neck in the suit.

I've seen this Sharkskin material (3 layers, innermost being fleece-style) apparently thermally equivalent to 2.5mm Neoprene, Polartec brand.

Does anyone have experience with these Sharkskin hoods and hooded vests, they look nice and flexible and light and thin, more expensive than neoprene but am most interested in their effectiveness.

Any advice re keeping a bit warmer, best incremental move from 5mm suit, also appreciated.

Cheers,
Russ

Fleece has approximately zero thermal value when we.

Might try a core warmer if you dont like hoods.

I have been using the Sharkskins polartec suits and hooded vests for years. I adore them. I won't go in the water without them.

I can dive in just my polartec suit and hooded vest down to about 23C. When it's colder I add a 3mm suit (we only dive down to about 19C). They keep me nice and toasty and they feel great when you put them on, too!

The hooded vest is a joy. Not restrictive, easy on and off, wind-resistant - I often keep it on when we are underway and it doesn't act like a bush fridge like neoprene does.

I don't even own any neoprene vests or hoods anymore...hate them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom