Sharks, Rays and Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
BBC World News

Sea lion attacks Australian girl

Sea lions rarely attack humans, say marine scientists
A teenage girl has been attacked by a sea lion while surfing behind a speedboat off Australia's west coast.
Ella Murphy, 13, suffered cuts to her throat, a broken jaw and lost three teeth when the mammal leapt out of the sea and mauled her.

She is in a stable condition in a Perth hospital after having surgery.

A marine scientist said attacks by sea lions were rare and it may have been trying to play with the girl. Sea lions can grow up to 300kg (660 pounds).

'Bizarre' attack

The sea lion jumped out of the water like a white pointer shark, family friend Chris Thomas, who was driving the speedboat at Lancelin, 125km (80 miles) north of Perth, said to Western Australia's Sunday Times newspaper.

"It actually lined her up. It jumped out of the water at her and hit her head-on ... it opened its mouth and grabbed her head. It latched on," he said.

The girl narrowly avoided a second attack, Mr Thomas said.

"It was going back for her, it was looking for her and it spotted her," he said. "I had this horrible feeling I was not going to make it back in time."

Sydney Aquarium marine scientist Grant Willis told AP news agency he had never heard of such an incident.

"To be out in the water and be attacked like this is just bizarre," he said.

Mr Willis said the protected species would only attack humans if provoked.

"It might have been like a rag doll toy ... it could have been ... play for them, just wanting to shake it around," he said.

That is truly bizarre. I've had bulls threaten me underwater when I've gotten too close to their lady friends, but I don't think I've ever heard of anything like this.

That is truly bizarre. I've had bulls threaten me underwater when I've gotten too close to their lady friends, but I don't think I've ever heard of anything like this.

Do you think that maybe, she was swimming and harassing the seals but did not want to appear to be that stupid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom