Sharks Being Wiped Out - What Do You Think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I agree that boycotting products will be effective and necessary, it is only a small portion of the battle. I will not pretend to have numbers but I would expect that MUCH of the "containing shark products" is not consumed in North America. I would think that the boycott would have to be global to be more than a mere hinderence to the manufacturers. I would think that if there was a way for it to cost governments, then perhaps they would actually get behind the movement rather than continue to have the pockets lined with money.

I think that while moving as many people as possible to join the ban on shark products, we need to bombard people with information. Actual irrefutable statistics about sharks and how their numbers (by species and region) have reduced thanks to questionable and illegal practices. The more people that can get behind the shark, the more that will stop buying all products containing shark and the more that can become vocal with their displeasure with the unethical of "product" manufacturers.

FWIW, I am behind this however I do not even know what products contain shark. This would need to be part of the education of people. I might be usine 30 products containing shark and not even know it. Also, the approach of this sort of movement needs to be sensible and not radical. If the approach is "stop 100% of every shark containing product" then people will tune it out and ask why not cows or why not pigs. I will not pretend to have the answer, but I know I tune radicals out no matter how great the cause. Perhaps I am unique but I do not believe so.

Sometimes you can blame those poachers. They only do it in order to survive... So in order to prevent that the laws should be strictly implemented and give alternative livelihood to the poachers

When it comes to shark products in the US, we consume a great many and just don't know it. From cosmetics to supplements. Most are labled that they may contain fish, but they do not have to specify Shark. Again a quick search on the internet for prooducts containing shark is unbelieveable.

Again, we need to fight this battle on many fronts. From fighting long lining, demanding that release hooks be used, fighting overfishing and illegal poaching, and educating the people out there about the dangers of shark due to high mercury contamination and the sharks impending dessimation from overfishing and finning.

We have to start somewhere!
Carolyn:shark2:

"the approach of this sort of movement needs to be sensible and not radical. If the approach is "stop 100% of every shark containing product" then people will tune it out and ask why not cows or why not pigs. I will not pretend to have the answer, but I know I tune radicals out no matter how great the cause."

If someone was to ask why not cows or pigs I would say those animals are not endangered.

"the approach of this sort of movement needs to be sensible and not radical. If the approach is "stop 100% of every shark containing product" then people will tune it out and ask why not cows or why not pigs. I will not pretend to have the answer, but I know I tune radicals out no matter how great the cause."

If someone was to ask why not cows or pigs I would say those animals are not endangered.

It doesn't take 15 yrs for a cow, pig, or chicken to reproduce! That is the biggest challenge that the shark faces...surviving to that point is it's first hurdle. Finding a mate to reproduce is it's second. Sustainability of a species is the biggest concern for sharks. At the rate they are caught, there is no way that we can sustain the populations for consumption. It has been found that there is no need for shark cartilage to be used, it's been shown that it is no magic cure for cancer and that it is half as potent as bovine cartilage for joint repair. Educating the consumer is key to help us get these products off the market.

Sometimes it takes radical thinking to move unthinking minds!

Carolyn:shark2:

Ps: I grew up on a farm and raised/slaughtered livestock for consumption. I know what it is to maintain a stable food supply.

Drives me nuts how sharks are killed and for some of the dumbest reasons. People need to put their little delicacies aside and wake the hell up.

Makes me as sick as how bad dolphins get their genocide like treatment also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaDcDwwt6as <-- graphic.. if you have a weak stomach or a huge affinity for Dolphins I would not watch this.

Back
Top Bottom