Sharks becoming more aggressive in Hadera, Israel. - Mediterranean sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JackOfDiamonds - The thrust of your post seems to be the noting of an “increase in aggression”. Two or three times you used such phraseology yet didn’t cite a comparison. No one can.

I understand that comment sounds nit-picky, but the common alarm bells sound when we hear such phrasing.

An increase? Maybe there’s just a lot more tasty food out there- garnished with GoPro cameras.

I have long said- with the proliferation of cheap u/w video gear, the incidence of attacks will be on the rise. Here you go.

I am not able to cite a comparison as no institution or organization monitored these types of situations up until now.

The sharks have been around the area for several dozens of years, people have been diving with them ever since.

In terms of an increase in divers (again, never measured by anyone but based on observations discussed by the local diving community) there hasn't been a significant increase, the older divers said that back in the day you could find about 3-4 divers in the area at a given day and that number has stayed almost constant through out the years.

The thrust of this post (although might not be well put) is to ask an input from other divers as to why this increase of aggression occurs, so much so that the local research institution has released a serious warning to not go into the water until further investigation is made into the matter. this has never happened before.

How does going vertical stop further action?

It is a recommended posture for defending a shark attack as discussed here: Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

It makes sense to me in terms of:
1. You will be in better position to defend yourself by kicking or punching the shark.
2. You have a better field of view of the surrounding.
3. You look bigger & different in the shark’s eyes
4. You are not appearing running away / afraid of it.

How does going vertical stop further action?
Because most sharks hug the bottom so just coming up 20 feet, they will usually become disinterested. Unless you have a dinner bell, most sharks (except bulls) will leave you alone because their 'easy food' is on the bottom, not up in the water column.

Because most sharks hug the bottom so just coming up 20 feet, they will usually become disinterested. Unless you have a dinner bell, most sharks (except bulls) will leave you alone because their 'easy food' is on the bottom, not up in the water column.

Awesome nugget of wisdom! Thank you, Johnoly!

I would add the caveat that this does depend on the shark; when I used to dive in GDGW country the rule was hug the bottom. I've had tigers and bulls get frisky on the ascent, and not always when I've had goodies on me.

That said, in this particular case "going vertical" meant "standing up in very shallow water," which would not help. Overall my advice is generally to keep your head and arms pointed at the shark and your legs away; that improves your chances of successfully fending off a bite and makes clear that you're not helpless.

The advice with some sharks (such as Oceanic White tips in the Red Sea) is not to spend too long on the surface as the shark will see the silhouette and think possible meal whereas staying at the same depth as the shark but facing the danger puts you in a stronger position.

Back
Top Bottom