SharkPOD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interresting.... I wonder if it would have an effect on other marine life that you would WANT to encounter??

I know a lot of divers that want to see sharks, but I dread the day of an encounter with a tiger or white....

would like to see more scientific data on the pod and see the thing actually work

The "Shark Pod" looks like the device used by "Shark Gordon" on the Discovery/Learning Channel.
.... I wonder if it would have an effect on other marine life that you would WANT to encounter??
Mr Gordon only throws the switch when a shark becomes threatening, so the unit isn't always on. I'm sure sure the device would mess up Rays, also.

Wheezy--I seem to recall seeing the device used(on TV) during one of those shark week specials. It was being tested/demonstrated in a pool if I recall correctly. Worked quite well at making a shark exit in a hurry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that during the swimming phase of the 2000 Australian Olympic Triathlon divers with shark pods positioned themselves below the swimmers.

Ed,

No correction is needed, you are correct.

Even on some of events the swimmers themselves wore the pods.

ID

Originally posted by dkerr
There is another link on boston.com about this todayboston.com
I think this is the newer version but not sure.

SWEET! I want one... $367 isn't too bad if the thing actually works. My area is known to have some lingering Great White's.

I've never even met anyone who has had an encounter, but they are there and every so often (like 5 months ago) a whale will be the host of a feeding frenzy. Less than a mile off shore a blue whale was being fed on by two great whites and several other sharks of a different species in Corona del Mar of all places.

From what I hear they hang out on the south side of Catalina as well.

There is an article mentioning thier use by Kurt Bickel in the winter issue of Spearfishing Magazine.The article was very favorable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom