Shark Week on Discovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cant recall if this was already posted, but here was my response from discovery channel:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting Discovery Channel. We appreciate your
correspondence and for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns
with us about Shark Week.

In an effort to ensure the highest quality programming, comments such as
these are taken very seriously. Each and every comment is forwarded on to
our programming executives for review and consideration. Maintaining the
integrity of all of our networks is our primary goal. It is these types of
comments that contribute to creating change and improving our programming.

We at Discovery Channel take seriously the plight of sharks around the
world. Each year we partner with Ocean Conservancy on a Public Service
Announcement about the state of sharks which airs throughout Shark Week.
We also dedicate a large portion of our website to shark conservation.
Please visit discovery.com/sharkweek for more information on this topic.

Again, thank you for contacting Discovery Channel.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations
Discovery Channel

-kind of a blow off.

We at Discovery Channel take seriously the plight of sharks around the
world. Each year we partner with Ocean Conservancy on a Public Service
Announcement about the state of sharks which airs throughout Shark Week.
We also dedicate a large portion of our website to shark conservation.

Much as I'd love to believe this is 100% earnest -- we've all seen the programming. This is like saying "the more viewers we bring in with our sensationalist, shark-vilifying extravaganza, the more we can raise awareness about the plight of these unfortunately-misunderstood creatures." Riiight.

My petition note was pretty gloomy:

I hold little hope that Discovery will ever show any true integrity by adjusting the tone of its "Shark Week" programming. The majority of shows begin or are advertised with elements like "Beneath this glassy surface lurk razor-toothed KILLERS waiting to strike unsuspecting swimmers" and then maintain this mood throughout the program, with the directors/editors throwing in a few blurbs of lip service about the accurate and reassuringly-low world shark attack statistics once or twice. This formula is embarrassingly transparent and disappointing, particularly for a network like Discovery, whose mission statement one would hope to find a bit nobler than the marine predator equivalent of "sex sells."

The Discovery Channel has an immense audience. It could become a tremendous force for positive change by helping to transform the undeserved and negative public image of sharks, but it won't. As the disappointing trend in ever-more-sensational Shark Week programming has shown, those in power don't consider a *truly*-balanced approach to be profitable enough.

Well put DBB, thank you so much sending the message. We can only hope with continued input, that Discovery may finally make Shark Week exciting and informative for a change.

Carolyn:shark2:

Back
Top Bottom