Shark tooth diving offshore Wilmington, NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
Would like to hear some stories about diving offshore Wilmington this season. Which boat did you use? How long was the ride out? What was the quality of the teeth (please be detailed...enamel loss? frags? chiped? tip broken? cracked?)? What was the volume of the teeth? Any photos? Any particular dive requirements, ie, safety sausage, dive reel, nitrox? Any particular recomendations?

:scubahelmet:

We visited Venice Florida last month. I have heard many people talk about their finds offshore Wilmington NC.

Sounds like the well has run dry.

I have a group that is wanting to dive Wilmington for sharks teeth.

Based on your post, I need to re-direct the groups scuba money.

I have found decent teeth off Wilmington for two years running now. Not in the quantities I've found in the Cooper River but bigger in size. I'll post a pic shortly. I go out with Aquatic Safaris. "Fossil Ledge" is about a two hour boat ride. Depth 95-105'. They require at least one buddy to have a reel so you don't lose the anchor line. I've seen people on the boat come up with sperm whale teeth, whale vertebrae, and other fossils as well. Lots of fun IMO.

IMG_01524.JPG

In the past four years I have seen the results of only three divers who went to Wilmington (I have not been). All three had found a lot of teeth and spent 2-3 days diving the area. All but two of the teeth I saw were badly degraded. I'll stick to the Cooper River. They may be harder to come by, but when I find a big one there, it is usually in nice shape with nice color.

http://www.wncrocks.com/forsale/divebook4sale.html

My wife calls me doubting thomas but i say there should still be teeth at the ledge. i have dove rivers for years and can go back after a few months and find teeth where i thought it was dove out.

Yeah the pristine teeth are going to be hard to come by off Wilmington. Better off in the Cooper for that. I'm easy to please though and happy to find teeth in either place. :D

Back
Top Bottom