Shark tooth diving in Potomac river?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know about finding teeth there but I have dove the black panther U1105 in the Potomac.

Just wanted to reserect the thread. I live in St Mary's county just by NAS Pax River. I'd love to hear about fossil diving by Calvert Cliffs. I'd be up for it. Unfortunately, I sold my boat a couple years ago :-( There's no way I'd hike that trail with my gear.

I just returned from Venice, FL (family reunion), but was disappointed in my two dives there with Florida West Scuba School. Not with then, but with my find - not much really! Two small teeth, one small piece of what must have been a huge Megaladon tooth, tons of manatee and whale bones, and a couple fossilized scallops. They said it was a bad time of year.

Hey thanks for resurrecting the thread. I think that I was the one that started it over a year ago. Since this thread was begun I have not yet gotten to go diving for teeth in the potomac or heard of anyone that has. Recently I have moved to a farm that is right on the potomac across from you in King George, VA. We have about a mile of waterfront. Big teeth(3"-4") often get washed up on the beach here. I am sure that there are quite a bit of them and maybe even larger out in the water. My wife and I would like to dive around here to try and find some.

I originally started this thread to see if anyone knows of any really "good" spots to find teeth in the potomac. I know they are there I have heard of hot spots but just don't know where they are. I would also like some advice on how to go about finding them once you are in the right area.

If anyone is interested in diving anytime soon, even if it's just of my beach just let me know.

I'd be interested in checking it out, I have a few sand scoops, and an underwater metal detector if you'd like to see what else lies there. (not sure if there are regulations on detecting in the river or not)

Well if anyone is serious about coming out to my place and doing some diving to see what, if anything, we can find. Send me a PM.

I would be interested. I haven't done many freshwater or river dives but what types of teeth do you suspect they are? Any pictures possibly? Sounds cool that you could find those types of things in the Potomac. How deep is the river near you, just curious. Thanks vtminter.

I would say the depth here is about 5ft to 30ft it really varies. The teeth that we have found on the beach are what I am pretty sure are Megalodon teeth and some other species that have are very large. I don't have any pictures at the moment. I may be able to get some soon.

I was in the Chesapeake Bay last week with some friends. We were able to recover some teeth. I have photos posted of teeth from a year ago and will try to add some from this last trip.

Hello,

Just happened to run across this conversation while researching Shark's Tooth Island. (The locals say teeth can be found on the island, but I don't know how to get to it.) I spent last weekend at Stratford Hall Beach on the Potomac searching for shark's teeth, Chesapecten jeffersonius, etc, with a group led by Dr. Lauck Ward, Curator Emeritus, now consulting paleontologist for the Virginia Museum of Natural History. Yes, you can find meg teeth in that area, but there aren't many. I got some nice maco teeth (1 to 1.5 in) and few other smaller ones, along with fossil bones, etc. I have pictures, but not sure how to post them.

The point I wanted to make is that you cannot put off from shore around Calvert Cliffs, it is posted (and patrolled), as is most of the shoreline in the area, so be aware.

And to the guy who lives on the farm in Blacksburg - I would love to visit!

Back
Top Bottom