Shark Toofuses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Hull

Registered
Reaction score
In a jar of mayonnaise, surrounded by albino croco
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I should be receiving all the dive gear for my son and I sometime early next week (Joe at ScubaToys said Monday or Tuesday) and I was hoping to go toof hunting the following weekend.

Any locals up to taking a couple of newbs around in Venice?

Look forward to hearing from ya.

Sam,
Sorry about the long reply. I don't know if you want it, but I can give you some advice from one newb to another (I just finished my first surf/tooth dive at Venice in the care of two of the regulars, ReefGuy and Walter). It was fun, different, and rewarding.

For what it's worth, here is some quick advice from personal experience.

What to take (not necessarily in order of import):
1) Compass - _VERY_ handy for the swim out and in (boats make it dangerous to surface swim).
2) Dive Flag - _VERY_ important (see boats remark - sometimes they see you, sometimes they care). Also, I'm told there is a hefty fine w/o one. I picked mine up at Bass Pro for $20 (get the kind made out of swim tube as opposed to the styro kind - it lasts longer)
3) Crab trap line (1.88 at wal-mart or Bass Pro). Comes on a little H-shaped skein. IMHO more manageable than the poly line and skein they sell at the dive shops
4) 2 brass clips per flag (one of each end of the crab line - you figure out which end to clip to your BC)
5) Little metal office clips (clamps) for your flag (Thanks for giving me a couple, Walter)
6) Small collection bag - not the wide-mesh style you use for lobster or shells. They sell these at Florida West for about $7. They may sell them here at Orlando at your LDS. I thought it was a ripoff for la tourista and opted for my BC pocket the first day. Okay I was wrong. I went back to get one that afternoon for the second day of diving. It is made of that close-knit mesh they use for soft weights - rigid enough to keep shape and velcro closure for slipping teeth into easily (shark teeth, not yours). Measures about 8 1/2" W x 9" H and is perfect for collecting teeth (unless you find a bunch of megs).
7) Bring your knife for scraping crud off finds and for possible entanglements (also to cut yourself loose if a boat snags your flag at speed). Seriously.
8) Disposable U/W camera, maybe - some of the sea life were comical little guys
9) All the standard stuff (save-a-dive, tools, etc)
10) Sunscreen and water.

What _NOT_ to take:
1) No wetsuit - don't need it, too warm
2) No gloves - don't need them
3) Easier/cheaper to rent tanks at Florida West ($7/day ea + tax) but your choice if you have the wheels to haul them.
4) No shovel/trowel, no sifter needed
5) No huge lobster bag for collecting (don't laugh much - I brought one with no idea what to expect)
6) No expectations for finding a huge meg. If you do you will be pleasantly surprised. It seems that spotting the teeth is a skill you develop. The longer I was there, the more I seemed to see. BTW, on the way home, yield signs and other triangular objects seemed to attract my attention a lot more than on the way there. Seriously.

Background (A lot of this is repeated from Walter and ReefGuy):
Make your way to the end of Alahambra and park at the dead end. Gear up at the dead end and walk to the surf. Facing the ocean, note three large palms in a group on your right and the tall condo on your left. These are your landmarks.

Enter surf and head due West about 100 yds and drop to the bottom (d~12ft). This way you avoid boats (have I mentioned the boats and jetskis). I know it sounds paranoid, but some are not cautious around the diver-down flags and I am paranoid about boat props. The sand will probably be pretty smooth and plain, lots of sand dollars and crabs. As you continue West the depth will drop and you will start seeing dark patches of debris, shells, etc. Concentrate on the darker patches. You will probably find teeth laying out on the sand, and definitely if you fan the debris lightly. Teeth are black at the root and grey enameled. Depth maxed for me at 17ft (250yds out?) and visibility was best earlier (light is decent at 0700, better at 0800). I started later because I had to cook my wife B-day breakfast before leaving her with the kids for the morning - yes I paid later.

Tanks lasted about 1.5 - 2 hours per. Surface occasionally to watch your drift, and mind the replenishment (they are making their way South and are currently about mid-way between Venice and the Pier at Sharkey's. Watch out for the Mantis Shrimp (nicknamed thumbsplitters) as I was cautioned by Walter . I only saw one, but there were lots of their burrows (a perfectly round hole lined with cemented sand - it looks like someone drove a small PVC pipe into the sand flush with the bottom. Word has it they can crack aquarium glass with one blow (my son is a little wildlife expert and he had a lot to tell me about them. Mind your drift (the landmarks I mentioned) and the darn surface craft (you can hear them when they are near).

Directions from Orlando are posted elsewhere and mapquest will give pretty good ones, but basically:
Take I-4W to I-75S, take exit 200 onto SR 681 toward Venice. Turn left onto US41S to Bus US41 (Tamiami Trl). Rt onto Bus US41/Tamiami Trl. Note the drawbridge: on your right will be a marina and restaurant and Florida West dive shop; enter plaza by bearing to the right before you cross the bridge.
Cross the bridge (still on Tamiami Trl) to Venice Ave. Rt on Venice Ave to Harbor. Left on Harbor and a few blocks down to Alahambra. Rt on Alahabra to a dead end and park on the street. Don't block any driveways.

Have fun and relax. Watch your consumption and save air for the swim back to the beach (return was harder than outbound). I had to snorkel back part way to observe my 500 psi reserve. I also cramped a little from dehydration so drink lots before you start and hydrate between dives. It's a cool dive and I wish I lived closer to it. I'd be there early every other weekend.

Take care. Enjoy your son's company - my wife and daughter are in OW cert class right now.

Steve, outstanding reply. I think that hits about every point.

If you don't have a fine mesh collection bag, a sock will work quite nicely. Too bad you can't make it this Sunday, you'd meet lots of cool folks.

Only one thing to add. DO NOT TIE YOUR FLAG TO YOURSELF OR BC!!! (#4). I would much rather lose my flag than get dragged along by some rocket scientist boater.

Wow Steve, that was a lot more information that I expected. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. Sunday is not out of the question if I can manage to rent some gear from one of our frienldy neighborhood LDS...if I know my wife, I can easily talk her into staying Saturday night at a hotel on the beach :D .

If, by chance, I can make it Sunday, where are you guys meeting up?

We stayed at the BeachComber condos in Venice. We talked to Maureen - her and her husband manage it. Quality people - treated our children with kindness and respect. Be mindful though, it is a condo rental and they don't supply housekeeping and expect you to leave the place somewhat orderly and clean. It is also a bit expensive, but it was only 5 blocks or so from the Venice dive, and right on a dive-able section of beach between Alahambra and Sharkeys (found some teeth there in the afternoon). Geared up in the parking lot and walked to the surf.

720 Golden Beach Boulevard
Venice, FL 34285
Toll-Free: (866) 488-4237
Cell: (941) 468-4999

Link:
http://www.beachcomberinvenice.com/

Tomorrow, folks will be meeting at the end of Alhambra. Directions to the site:

From the south:

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 193 and head SW (coming from the south that’s a left turn) on Jacaranda. Turn right on Venice Ave. Stay on Venice Ave until after you’ve crossed the bridge to the downtown area. Turn left at the second light after the bridge (Harbor). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra). Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible. Be careful not to block the driveway to the condo. Keep your dive between the culverts to the south and the three pine trees to the north.

From the north:

Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 200 (SR681) and follow it to US 41 where you'll turn left (south). Take US 41 to Business US 41 (Tamiami Trail) where you turn right. After you cross the bridge, you'll turn right on Venice Ave. Turn left at the first light (Harbor). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra). Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible. Be careful not to block the driveway to the condo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom