Shark River Inlet - Ocean Ave side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove the inlet last night - High Tide was about 12:33am - got in around midnight good vis and the water was warm - 54 degrees for a 26 minute dive. South side has construction going on by A Street so not much parking and it looks like they dont want you around the construction.
Lots of Horseshoe, Green and Spider crabs, a couple Black Fish (Tautog) and starfish. But the sandy bottom on the north side does not compare to the south side. With the offshore breeze and water being calm it was a great dive.

...//... But the sandy bottom on the north side does not compare to the south side. ...

Panoramio - Photo explorer

A few questions if you will. Do you like the bottom on the south side (Belmar) better? Which side has less fishermen this time of year at night?

I know divers annoy the s**t out of fishermen <they have to reel in to let you pass> and I try to be as unobtrusive as is reasonable.

How did the current change (slackwater) compare to the predicted high tide time?

Thanks.

On the north side Ocean Ave - it is a sandy bottom - Horseshoe Crabs and small Flounder like that terrain. On the north side if you come in between the bridge and the beach - you are closer to the inlet entrance and I think you get more swells coming in from the ocean side.
On the south side A Street - it is more crusty - seaweed and rocks - small Eels, small fish and Lobster like that terrain. I prefer the south side. On the south side coming in from A Street - you are further away from the inlet entrance and I think there is less waves and current - just my perception.

So far I have not had any issues with Fishermen - on Tues there was one fisherman on the North side - he asked me for a report which I told him what I saw and he left 20 mins later before I could load all my wet gear back into my truck. I have not been chased down as of yet - I do try to stay out of the way and I hang a strobe light from the bottom of my flag weight which make my flag clearly visible from the jetties. I have gone at the same time with groups of people - some with flags some not (mostly spearfishing) and have not heard of any complaints. But I do not dive the entire length of the jetty at night - I venture far enough to get back to my starting point with minimal current - which works for me - generally 30 minute dives.

Current change seems to run about 10 mins earlier than posted by NJ Salt Water Tides - I use that website for predictions. I like to get in 30 mins prior to High Tide time unless I can clearly see the current still ripping. I get in early and use my hands on the rocks to steady and let the surge go around me - if I stick by the walls it seems to stay more calm - if I get out away from the walls and I start getting pulled I will kick in towards the wall and things settle down or I grab another rock and wait a moment. I use 30 mins prior to High Tide because I want to get in a decent dive and get out with only a slight current. Remember at least at night - you have a flashlight, flag and you need to remove your fins before you can climb back out. So for me - diving Solo I don't want to lose equipment on the exit due to a strong current pulling on me or my gear. I would rather fight a current early on the dive - so generally I can get back out of the inlet with minimal effort.

Hope that helps.

I have dove L Street with my son but there is not nearly as much life or scenery - he wants to dive the inlet but he is still in school and the tides are not favorable for him to dive and get up for school in the morning (OW certified last year). Later in May / early June the tides will be back in alignment and I will let him dive between 5:30pm and sunset prior to letting him do his first night dive in the inlet.

Thanks, most helpful. I've always been on the north side poking along the rocks at the sand. Getting out over the barnacles in heavy current is no fun, agree completely with your timing. Thanks for the slackwater info.

Parking for a south side dive???

L-street is no where near as interesting, but it can't be beat for a really tame night dive...

Usually corner of A St and 1st Ave. But construction is going on now so that is why I did the north side. The apartment complex does not like you parking in their lots.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2014 at 09:44 AM ----------

The only other thought is that the inlet has better viz - the garbage and dead bait fish can pile up at L St from the boats. But I have had an occasional good dive at L St.
But if you enjoy that - Round Valley Reservoir is another option - clear water and deep as you want. They have a platform to practice but No Night Diving and No Solo Diving - lots of parking and diver friendly. Very little cleanup needed due to fresh water - much closer than Dutch.

Back
Top Bottom