Shark Repellent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chugmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
South Florida Scientists Create Shark Repellent
Information provided by NBC6 Ecowatch

MIAMI, FL (Aug. 4) - Dr. Sonny Gruber, a University of Miami shark expert, heads up World Class Research in Bimini, Bahamas. His research team has proven that sharks hate or fear the smell of rotting shark carcass.

"And so we have been extracting certain chemicals out of these dead carcasses, purifying them and testing them on those Caribbean reef sharks," Gruber said. "And it worked. It worked very well."

Research video shows sleeping baby sharks thrash wildly after they're given a whiff of shark repellent. And bigger sharks blasted with repellent quickly flee.

The U.S. Navy wanted a repellent because sharks were chewing submarine equipment.

But with shark attacks back in the news this summer, the company marketing the repellent says it could be available as something lifeguards can throw in the water during an attack.

Eventually, they hope to make a bracelet for swimmers and divers -- maybe even a sun block mixed with shark repellent.

Shark repellent could be popular in protecting humans from sharks. But also, researchers say a repellent could save thousands of sharks at a time when shark populations are plummeting.

Studies show about 100 million sharks are killed every year, often by fishermen who are after tuna or swordfish but accidentally catch sharks instead.

Gruber says if fishermen put the shark repellent on the bait, the tuna and swordfish won't care, but sharks will stay away.

"If I can protect those baits from sharks biting them, but the fish bite them, then I can save 40 to 50,000 sharks a day," Gruber said. "That is what I'm all about with these shark repellents."

Gruber's scientists are testing the shark repellent around the clock. They soak some yellow sponges with the repellent and place the sponges on hooks. The bait attracts other fish but not sharks. On a hook without the repellents, Gruber's team reeled in a small shark and quickly released it.

The process is repeated many times because Gruber says there's no room for error when creating a shark repellent to protect humans and sharks.

The shark repellent could be on the market as early as next year.

Gee! another shark repellent. In 46 yrs. of diving I've seen and heard about all kinds of shark repellents and shark protection do-dads and so far all have gone to Davy Jones' locker. However, because Hollywood and the media have falsely destroyed the reputation of the shark, this guy stands to make a killing $, and the next time I go to Myrtle Beach, I'll see all of these "shark bracelets" on the swimmers. We all have to remember something: When you enter the ocean, you become part of the food chain.

Barracuda2

Whatever happened to bang sticks?

There is already an excellent repellant out there.

It’s easy for divers to do but questionable for some of the other water activities.

It’s called; “DON’T LOOK LIKE A SURFER”.

:D Gary D.

I am not sure if smelling like a rotting shark carcass will repel sharks, but I am betting it will repel other people.... :D

Barracuda2:
Gee! another shark repellent. In 46 yrs. of diving I've seen and heard about all kinds of shark repellents and shark protection do-dads and so far all have gone to Davy Jones' locker. However, because Hollywood and the media have falsely destroyed the reputation of the shark, this guy stands to make a killing $, and the next time I go to Myrtle Beach, I'll see all of these "shark bracelets" on the swimmers. We all have to remember something: When you enter the ocean, you become part of the food chain.

Barracuda2

This is very different. It actually works, but is pretty useless for people. It needs to be in the water before an attack, that's not really going to be practical.

Now, putting it on nets and hooks so you don't accidently catch and kill the sharks is a benefit. It allows us to see more of these majestic creatures.

I think it would be great to keep sharks from getting netted or caught.

I can't see divers using it though. How are you going to get a good close up pic if your keeping them away!?!? :crafty:

matt_unique:
A camera seems to be the best shark repellant. Spot a great shark and try to take a picture it - poof - it's gone.

--Matt

Roger that!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom