shark proof wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOG-SPLITTER:
I was surfing the web tonight and came across an interesting article.

Feel free to post your comments plz.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8027
Seems to me that sharks use electric fields as a way of detecting prey (we all have our own electric field). Wouldn't the slightly stronger "wetsuit" field just attract them from farther away?

The idea is to have your buddy, Sharkbait, wear it :)

I read the article. Seems to me if the shark bites first then get's the message, you are where you would have been without the shock suit.
To further amplify what other's have said, I wonder of the electric field might not make them curious.
I remember seeing some footage some time back where a shark paid a lot of attention to a diver's hoseless AI computer's transmitter.
When they invent something to keep the giant squid away, that is when I will lay my money down!

swankenstein:
Seems to me that sharks use electric fields as a way of detecting prey (we all have our own electric field). Wouldn't the slightly stronger "wetsuit" field just attract them from farther away?

"The new suit takes advantage of the fact that sharks have sensitive receptors in their snouts which detect electrical fields in the water. This helps them track prey, but if the field is too powerful the shark backs off."

"Hmm, wonder how fresh these batteries are..."

Its says it will shock the shark if they bite , with my lcuk i would probably just shock the hell out of myself

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom