Shark kills Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The very fact that a dive operation offered this type of dive implies that it is safe for divers who act reasonably under water.
I disagree. Just because someone offers something does not mean it is safe. That is a very naive attitude that get's people killed as it turns out.....
As another example, consider boarding a plane during bad weather. You expect the pilot to have your safety in mind and not take off if it's dangerous to do so. If he does take off in dangerous conditions and the plane crashes because of that, it's the pilot's and airline's fault; the passengers can't be held responsible because they should never have boarded a plane that might have taken off in dangerous conditions.

Passengers have a reasonable expectation that an operation (diving or airline) has their well-being in mind.

Boarding a plane in bad weather is not the same as diving. The limit lies with jumping off the boat and doing something yourself where the 'pilot' has no further control. I agree that when you board a plane you can expect the decisions for your safety to be made by the pilot. The same goes for the boat, you expect the captain to keep you safe. But the moment you jump over board to dive, the captain has no influence (whether you want him to or not) on your safety. You are doing something dangerous on your own as an individual.

Throw chum and sharks in the mix and you have the makings of a disaster.

As I said before, the operator should not add to the dangers of diving by chumming waters, but I would not go so far as to hold the operator completely responsible. It is irresponsible to offer the chumming trip, it is suicidal to actually sane of mind and freely jump in the chummed water.....

Can anyone verify whether or not this was a shark feed, like out of a bucket off the bottom, or chumming blood and fish guts over the side of the boat. Two totally different situations from a scuba spectators position. Probably still a mistaken identity, and if the story is accurate the diver probably bleed to death. Shark feeds are very popular and IMO it was only a matter of time for an accident like this to happen. Condolences to the family.

Bruce

I think for the most part this is true and how I feel about it

Do either of you have any evidence that what your saying is true? I don't think that is true in my experience and I have been at a lot of Shark Dives!

I've only been in the water once when it was chummed (Blue Hole, Belize). The sharks acted exactly like fish in an aquarium that haven't been fed for a day. They move a lot faster, are excited and agressive.

I was in the water in the Blue Hole near the end of my dive when someone from another boat started throwing chum in. I can tell you it was pretty frightening, and I was furious with them when I surfaced. They just thought it was funny. The main problem with "common sense" is that it isn't that common.

just what the sport/industry needs some more negative press let's blame someone ! the shark ,the operator, the divers ,my ex mother in law, all the gear manufacturers ,this board loves padi so let's blame them...... please can we all take a slow breath and get grounded this sport/industry needs to accept a small reality check when sharks are baited/chumed things happen... my respects to the divers family may we all learn from this tragedy....

Let me get this straight. A shark, eats a lawyer....

Boy did this topic hit some buttons. If you look at this rationally, being around sharks while they are being fed is relatively very safe. There are literally thousands of individuals who take part in shark experiences similar to this every year around the world, and this is the first fatality I have heard about.

Also, if you check the most recent Wetpixl postings, the jury is still out on whether it was the shark bit or rapid ascent that was the cause of death. Condolences to everyone involved, including the skipper who runs one of the most professional operations around.

We have made shark dives in Polynesia, the Marquesas, Guadalupe, Bahamas, and Galapagos, and I am convinced that seeing these fish up close and personal by a lot of individuals has done much to increase the general public's understanding of, and sympathy for sharks and their ecological niche.

It is possible to be in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere, whether it is crossing a street or diving with sharks. We should have a great deal of sympathy for everyone involved in this tragedy.

Dan

Where is the down side?:D:rofl3:

Well, for one there'd be no one to defend you if you're arrested for murder when your buddy goes OOA and perishes :mooner:

Can we merge this thread with the other in the Accidents and Incidents forum yet?

No, I don't have any evidence that feeding wild animals is bad idea (is what I was agreeing to, not necessarily sharks) but I'm sure that it would be easy to find out
..... common sense :wink: might make you think so

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom