Shark ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpenrod

Registered
Reaction score
I recently recieved some photo's of a shark caught off the coast of Destin, FL and we are trying to ID the Shark. So far the following suggestions have been made:

Black Tip
Atlantic Sharpnose
Bull Shark

Any help would be appreciated.

I believe it's either a blacktip or a Spinner (C. brevipinna). They look almost identical.
If it was caught close to shore it's most likely a blacktip - if more than about 5 miles offshore then it's probably a spinner.
(Both will often jump and spin when caught, so that's not a reliable determinant)
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I believe it's either a blacktip or a Spinner (C. brevipinna). They look almost identical.
If it was caught close to shore it's most likely a blacktip - if more than about 5 miles offshore then it's probably a spinner.
(Both will often jump and spin when caught, so that's not a reliable determinant)
Rick

After reading your post I looked up the distinguishing characteristics between the two. On the black tip the dorsal fin originates over about the midpoint of the pectoral fins. On the spinner it originates behind the tips of the pectoral fins. It is a little hard to tell in the picture where the guy is holding the fish, but going by the one with the shark sitting on the ground it looks like the dorsal fin is starting closer to the middle of the pectoral fins.

The other identifying feature is that the anal fin on the spinner has a black tip, whereas it doesn't on the black tip shark (even though that does sound backwards). I can't see the anal fin well enough in the pictures to tell.

ineedgills2:
thats definatly a spinner, and if u caught that, tell me why?

First of all I did not cathc the shark, as I said I recieved the photos. Some friend of a guy at work caught the shark in question. As to why they caught it, I can not say with authority. I assume they caught it because they were fishing and it took the bait. I do not believe they were fishing for shark. the second part of that is being as they are from Ohio they probably thought it was pretty cool to catch a shark and did not care what species. Finally as all media tells us (every summer when the sharks begin attacking anyone) shark = bad so they felt they were doing a public service.

Secondly, Why are you so certain that is a spinner?

the debate was whether it was a blacktip or spinner.... so iknow its noy a black tip, there fore ide say its a spinner. i study sharks, i just know them.

ineedgills2:
the debate was whether it was a blacktip or spinner.... so iknow its noy a black tip, there fore ide say its a spinner. i study sharks, i just know them.

Can you provide a little more info as to why you know it is a not a blacktip or why it is a spinner? I would just like some help in IDing these types of sharks in the future. You say you study sharks, what is it you do? Finally in your original post you seemed quite surprised that someone would catch a spinner, why is this so surprising?

Thanks.

Well im pretty sure that black tips fins are more pronounced with BLACK!!! Also spinners are thin and the shark in the pic was thin. Im going to suprise you when i say im only 15, yet i probably know more about the ocean than the average person my age. So you could trust what i say. or denie me because of my age limit.I was shocked when i saw the shark because i love sharks, and our seas are being raped of these precious creatures. Ohhhhhh!!!! its only one. Plus all the other people who think its cool to have a shark jaw trophy as a souvenier. Sorry its jut some thing i feel very strongly about.

Back
Top Bottom