Suggestion Shark Finning main Forum request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Wantonmien

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Netdoc, and Scubaboard forum moderators,

Can I request that you make a new main prominent forum as direct heading/forum in Scubaboard for shark finning discussions.

At the moment there are a few persons communicating in the 'tucked away' shark forum but it is an issue I would like to think should be made more prominent, so that there are more viewers, readers, contributors and so on ~ especially as I would hope the majority of divers would like to see reductions in the mass cleaning from the oceans of sharks of all types ?

It's an issue that I feel quite strongly about and as I am in the centre of Asia, where majority of fins are used, I am hoping to soon be playing a part in pushing for shark finning reductions, with others.

Cheers

I think that just about everyone is aware of the finning. If for one minute you think that discussing the issue will have any effect on the Asian community's continuing this practice you are a fool.

I vote for the finning forum! Had to start my own eco thread on my local forum. And yes, you can get people to stop doing something harmful to their surroundings once they realize it is harmful. Look at all the environmentally concious habits we've changed and developed in the last two decades.

If we don't save 'em, we can't dive with 'em!

Add a poll to this thread!

Netdoc, and Scubaboard forum moderators,

Can I request that you make a new main prominent forum as direct heading/forum in Scubaboard for shark finning discussions.
Ummm. Probably not.

While Shark Finning is a current cause celebre (partly due to Shark Water I'm sure) and a practice that I personally find abhorrent, we can't create a forum since the discussion would likely not support it. And there already is a dedicated Shark forum.

For the same reason that there are no forums about whaling, dolphin killing, overfishing, pollution, global warming, lionfish eradication or any other high profile ocean issues.

To increase visibility ask to have the thread stickied at the top of the forum - I'm not sure what thread you are specifically referring to. If the thread becomes inactive, the sticky will be removed later.

If you post in the thread often it will maintain it's visibility in everyone's New Posts search.

Should you still wish to request a forum, here are the guidelines:
So you want a new forum?

You need to think about the following:

* Is the subject suitable for ScubaBoard?
* Is it necessary, isn't this subject already covered by another forum?
* Is it to be a private forum? If so, for which group? Any specific access restrictions (ie read-only etc.)?

Got that covered?

Good, next thing you need to do is to start a thread in Suggestions (part of Site Support).

Also, you'll need at least a dozen members who'll back your proposal.

Finally, the ScubaBoard Staff will consider your proposal and create the forum if approved.

Please note that any forum may also be removed due to inactivity.

Any questions? Send us a message!
Even though I've responded here, the discussion should be continued in Suggestions. PM if you would like this thread moved there.

I think that just about everyone is aware of the finning. If for one minute you think that discussing the issue will have any effect on the Asian community's continuing this practice you are a fool.

---

Garrobo, yes everyone is aware and of course discussion alone affects nothing, however communication through forums such as this one can lead to ideas and actions from concerned groups, instead of just sticking the head in the sand and doing nothing as I assume you think is the only thing you can do.

Regards

Ummm. Probably not.

While Shark Finning is a current cause celebre (partly due to Shark Water I'm sure) and a practice that I personally find abhorrent, we can't create a forum since the discussion would likely not support it. And there already is a dedicated Shark forum.

For the same reason that there are no forums about whaling, dolphin killing, overfishing, pollution, global warming, lionfish eradication or any other high profile ocean issues.

To increase visibility ask to have the thread stickied at the top of the forum - I'm not sure what thread you are specifically referring to. If the thread becomes inactive, the sticky will be removed later.

If you post in the thread often it will maintain it's visibility in everyone's New Posts search.

Should you still wish to request a forum, here are the guidelines:
Even though I've responded here, the discussion should be continued in Suggestions. PM if you would like this thread moved there.

Steve - yes, please shift to the suggestions forum.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom