Shark Dive Photo Prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going on a shark dive!!!!!!!!!!

My goal beyond see these sharks is getting one good photo. Just one really good one.

I don't own a camera yet and don't have money to buy one between Oct 24th and now. My original plan was to rent the Sea and Sea from the shop a few times and practice with it and then take it with me. Unfortunately, they only rent a 35mm camera. I want digital.

So, I need to find a relatively inexpensive place in OC where I can rent a digital camera a few times and then need tips on shots.
I'll be in open water off Catalina Island shooting blues. I'm thinking something with a WAL or WA setting.

I know that the only answer is practice (which I plan to do), but so many people on this board take great photos, I'd love any hints as to what I need to keep an eye out for.

Thanks

I am the owner of H2O Photo Pros in the San Fernando Valley. I know its not OC, but not too far.

My guess is you will be diving on the 24th on the Aquatica?

If you would like to rent a set up, we can get together at my shop and I can show you a few set ups that might work for you for the trip. I will also give you an intro to the camera you choose.

Give me a call at 818-535-3251 and we can discuss this.

get together with H20pro!

you may consider shooting natural light! If the sharks are more than 6 feet away a flash wont do much good anyway. If they are real close too muct flash will overexpose them wash them out. If it is a shark "feed" they may be moving very quickly, therefore a faster shutter speed will aid in freezing the action.

then just use photoshop to correct the shots to your tastes

good luck

Chris

H20, thanks, I will give you a call and set up a time to come up. Yes, I'm going on the boat 10/24.

Chris, thanks, I was thinking the same thing about natural light. We won't be deeper than 15' and I was thinking the same thing about the flash not being very helpful.

Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom