Shark bite article...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all he was a lawyer and thought he would have professional courtesy! Next we don't need a nannay state or SCUBA police telling me how close to get to a fish! Please! 10 meters is ridiculous for a photographer! Remember the shark did not kill him! Panic did!

The corner put cause of death Embolism! Not blood lose!

I agree, there should not be Scuba police stating how close you may get to a fish. The Dive Master should instruct his/her group not to get close to the baited crate and during the dive the divers should stay close together at a distance from the crate, say 10 meters. During my baited dives the Tiger and Bull sharks normally circles the crate and during that get close to the divers with plenty of opportunities for great photos. It is not necessary to approach the Tiger and Bull sharks, they will come to the photographers. To approach the baited crate is an unnecessary risk for the whole group especially with Tiger and Bull sharks around.

They do warn you, normally 20ft or 7 meters, but for whatever reason he was closer according to accounts....? This video was taken in Fiji and at one point I and 3 to 6 feet from the bait and 9 inches from a 12 meter Tiger!

Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

600_DSC00882_Princess_coming_in_Beqa_Shark_dive_Fiji_07.jpg

cause of death was stated as blood loss - not embolism- i did read that in the paper "coroner stated cause of death as blood loss" and as s. african stated, you do not have to be next to bait crate to get pictures of sharks 1-2 feet away- sharks will come in and out of divers on the way to and from the bait, but right next to bait is not the place- having a 12 foot tiger(or 7ft bull) a foot from you is not nearly as dangerous if you are even 5-6feet from bait as if you are next to bait-noone wants scuba police but are we just paying to be dropped in--no safety rules?

The corner put cause of death Embolism! Not blood lose!

Shark tour leader was warned of danger, diver says - CNN.com
Markus Groh -- an Austrian lawyer -- died after being gnawed during a dive led by Jim Abernethy's south Florida company. Groh, 49, died from loss of blood resulting from the shark attack near the Bahamas, The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office said.

Papa Bear, if you have a copy of the actual report stating cause of death as embolism, feel free to post it here.

Papa Bear, the video taken in Fiji is surely very impressive!!

I have not participated in feeding sharks while diving. But I can only imagine what can happen during a handfeed shark dive with two Tigers and maybe another one or two Bull sharks lurking around! As far as I know it is illegal to handfeed sharks in South Africa during scuba diving. We did baited crate dives with the purpose to observe Tiger and Bull sharks. In any event I prefer a "normal" dive spotting Tiger, Bull, Sand Tiger, or any other shark swimming peacefully by!! Maybe the reason for that is the fact that I do not own an underwater camera.

As it may be, I am losing the thread. Sorry for that. As Gombessa quoted, it seems warnings were given of the danger involved. It is sad that this kind of unfortunate incident had to take place before something drastic was done, and in this case outlawing this practice.

From a blog by: https://b.kentbackman.com/

White hat hacker: A hacker who is legally authorized to use otherwise illegal means to achieve objectives critical to the security of computer systems.

Ocean explorer: Incompletely defined. One who uses activities such as diving, surf riding, kayaking and swimming to expand their knowledge and enjoyment of the ocean.

A former marine scientist, this blog’s creator does computer security for a living, and ocean exploration in his free time. Kent has done computer security work for private, commercial and government entities, both foreign and domestic. Politically a nonconformist, Kent is rarely shy about expressing an opinion.

This is the first post of my new blog. I have been wanting to start up a blog again, ever since I shut down my invitation-only blog when I left Baghdad in late 2005. It took a bull shark and a Trojan to be discussed later–plus a return to Baghdad–for me to make the effort again. Baghdad is a place where blogging inside a mortar-and-rocket-hardened building with no windows is actually a much better choice than diving the nearest body of open water.

Assuming nice weather back home in Hawaii, diving or surfing–or any number of other outdoor activities–would usually win out over keyboard pounding away my free time.

But back to the incident a week ago that provoked the securing of a web server and my current keyboard spasm. It was the bite of a bull shark on the leg of passenger Markus Groh who was diving from Jim Abernethy’s Shear Water. The bite led to the diver’s unfortunate death, but not in how one might think. The cause of his death is now believed to have resulted from pulmonary edema and/or embolism brought on by too rapid of an ascent from depth. Please read about the incident at wetpixel.com, or you may wish to search for a radical hyper-sensationalized counterpoint at “cyber diver yellow press idiot network” run by Lamar Bennington. Notice how Lamar Bennington shows a photo with a guy in Speedos with his lower leg missing. This is NOT a photo of Markus Groh, the diver that was on the Shear Water. The idiot crook known as Lamar Bennington at “cyber diver yellow press idiot network” makes money from blatantly misleading sensationalism so I refuse to link to his web site. OK, he may not be stupid since he has been able to make more money from a web site than I have, but I love calling him a crook and an idiot. To help my attorney out should I need one, Lamar Bennington is “an implement having a bent form” with regard to his sensationalist so-called “news” editorials. For Google’s sake, Lamar Bennington is…a crook and an idiot.

I dove with Jim back in 2001, before his shark dives on the Shear Water were such the rage and expense that they are now, booked far in advance. It is interesting that when I met Jim and told him about my experiences with sharks at Midway Atoll, he mentioned that he was recently recovering from a small reef shark bite in the buttocks, that had occurred a few weeks before. He had been paying more attention to video taping and did not cover his ass, literally and figuratively. I will speculate that the bite on Markus Groh may have included similar circumstances. Jim obviously made it to the surface safely after his bite seven years ago.

On one dive with Jim Abernethy we encountered seven different shark species. On the last dive of my trip I still had plenty of air in my tank after everyone else had already surfaced. I remained underwater by myself with two very large tiger sharks who were inspecting me from an ever decreasing distance. Jim knew that I had some prior experience with tiger sharks so I presume he made an exception by allowing me to be under water alone with two of these giant animals. These experiences were so powerful, I knew clearly then that these trips were going to be a hit with others who value uninhibited encounters with the ocean’s most amazing creatures.

Even if not stooping to the abysmal level of Lamar Bennington, the press in general sensationalizes the horror of death by shark attack, because horror sells. As far as I know, Markus’ passing is the first death related to commercial uncaged shark encounters. In actuality, this incident was a bite, not a “gruesome attack.” The shark bite contributed to the diver’s death, but he did not die from shark bite. Agreed: a serrated tear of an artery can have very poor prognosis, but it was the fear of something like that or the instinctive reflex to go to somewhere safe–rather than the actual bite itself–which caused Markus’ death. Markus chose to participate. He was a lawyer and a reasonably experienced diver who was familiar with the risks. He paid money to participate. I will venture Markus would probably be aghast if anyone tried to sue on his behalf.

So why don’t fatal sky diving accidents generate such hoopla? Certainly a sky diver who has suffered a fatal “150mph ground attack” would present a much more gruesome sight than even the unnamed speedo-clad individual featured on Lamar’s cyber diver yellow press idiot network. On the other hand, there are probably many people (middle America comes to mind) who are afraid of sharks and in a much larger sense of the ocean. They probably cannot understand how anyone survives an encounter with multiple beings the likes of which they have only encountered in their nightmares. These are people who chuckle about “idiots” paying to dive with sharks. They would just as likely contribute to shark protection funds as donate to Al Qaeda. But perhaps with Discovery Channel and other more enlightened media representations, there are fewer of these people than there used to be. Some of their children and offspring may even have dived with sharks.

I extend my deepest condolences to Markus Groh’s family, as well as to Jim Abernethy and his family and employees. It is my hope that lawyers and politicians do not get involved in a punitive and legislative lynching, unless it happened to be solely directed at Lamar Bennington. Commercial shark diving encounters may not be the pinnacle of ethical animal treatment, but few will argue that shark finning is not far worse. If anything, shark encounters like that which I have had with Jim Abernethy have greatly affirmed my resolve to protect sharks. For that reason alone, sharks need a few people like Jim Abernethy to turn the tide that is currently flowing towards extinction.

Sorry. Can’t help myself. Here it is. Lamar Bennington is a crook and an idiot. Is that enough trouble for my first post?

I fear more control from the only death from this kind of activity and it was panic as I said and not the shark!

I would say once again, i don't know where you are getting the info, because a coroner's report is pretty much definitive unless they continue the investigation(i.e. a 2nd autopsy) but the cause of death was loss of blood...and i was told that not just from the newspaper... all you said about shark finning and saving sharks i agree...although its an interesting point that in the last 20 years, shark diving around the world has taken off as a tourist draw, and at the same time, shark finning has GREATLY increased...I love sharks and seeing them in the wild but we all love to feel good about ourselves for somehow helping to "save" sharks by diving with them and contributing to the shark diving business and telling people what great animals they are... which is true...but if you REALLY love these animals(and not just seeing them and taking pictures and showin them to people) it should go beyond that- the people on the front lines, at least for stopping the shark finning that you spoke off, are not Bahamian sharkdivers charging 3-4 thousand for a week of diving- They are researchers toiling away for generally much less than 3-4 thousand a week, actually studying these wonderful animals and taking painstakingly detailed notes and statistics regarding their live and death, and documenting their demise with hard evidence that can be shown to governments, and your senator or congressman(have you written them about this) --- the ONLY thing i am asking or question i am raising is, as a former maritime professional, who has done(and supervised) many shark dives, i simply ask, what were the crew responsibilities on this dive... did they have cameras themselves and were busy taking pictures(as you said jim A. did when a reef shark bit him...) I think its a valid question- you aren't paying them large amounts of money JUST to take you to the site and warn you its dangerous and then throw you in...there should be professional oversight, a definite "procedure" that is followed, and a plan of action from the time you hit the water to when you get out- you make it sound like its dangerous and thats a given so the operator is not responsible for anything- i'm not saying you should be in a staight jacket in a cage- just an employee who is paid to watch your back...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom