shark attack off brisbane australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My condolences to the family of this woman. I could not believe it when I read the news. I have been to that part of Australia and have read about the occasional shark attacks.

Did you know that Australia comes in second in the number of shark attacks. The good old USA has the highest incidents. I was surprised to read that.

A total of 61 shark attacks were reported worldwide in 2004, slightly higher than the 57 counted in 2003, but lower than in the three previous years, when the total ranged from 63 to 78.
The US topped the table with 30 while Australia had 12, followed by Brazil and South Africa with five each.

I am off to Hawaii in April/May. Anyone know the stats for this area ?

I wish I could thank the people that tried to save her, but her injuries were too severe.
Such a tragic incident.

But I wonder how many people get into cars every day vs. how many people go swimming in a known shark habitat? Not being a smart-***, just not sure your comparison is completely apt. And if, as the poster above suggests, there are things one can do to avoid such a tragedy, I'm all for hearing about them.

Kind of wishing I hadn't read that story. I'm probably the only person who couldn't sit through JAWS. That poor girl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom