Shark at the Breakwater!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves. This guys is a Swell Shark, Cephaloscyllium ventriosum. He was at about 35 feet trying to hide in the rocks, about 3-4 feet long.

shark1.jpg

shark2.jpg

shark3.jpg

shark4.jpg

Nice find! I love the texture you were able to catch in these pics.

Sweet! What approximate location was he?

We surface swam out to number 8 and dropped on the rocks, staying up around 25-30 feet so we could poke our lights into the cubby-holes and little cavelets. He was about 15-20 minutes into the dive, so it wasn't too awful far beyond that, maybe another number or two. Bear in mind that if you look up the word "slow" in the dictionary, you see a picture of us diving, so adjust distances accordingly.

Wow, great pic's!...I have never seen a shark while diving, except once at Monastary where I came nose to nose with a blue shark...only got a quick look as he went left and I made a right..that was many moons ago..

I've been very fortunate to encounter a pack of leopard sharks at Lover's Point while just my 8th logged dive. It was an encounter I'll never forget.

Nice picture of the shark, you know what they say, "Where there's one shark, there has to be his parents not too far away, I only hope they are as friendly as this one".

MG

Sweet... :) I saw one of those at the Metridium Fields months and months ago. Some lady at Bamboo Reef called it a leopard shark when I showed it to her. :) I've been fortunate to only run into "nice" sharks. A swell shark, a leopard shark and a horn shark... It's always cool to see sharks on a dive. :)

I can understand someone mistaking it for a leopard shark because the markings are similar. The big differences are the shape of the head, and the way the swell shark's dorsal fin is located way, way back toward its tail.

There's a reason why my username on another board is "critter_geek" :dork2::shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom