Sharing air to extend bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done it before in an extremely safe manner (as safe as you can get in this case). I had dove with this buddy many times before and was confident in his abilities. However, he was a gas guzzler with an extremely bad fill (while I had a great fill and a larger tank).

We discussed it thoroughly beforehand - when he'd go to my octo (e.g., 1000psi) and when we'd go back to our own rigs (e.g., when I was about 1000psi) and head towards the safety stop. We discussed what happened if anything went wrong, and we had enough of a cushion of air left in each tank to deal with emergencies. It was a good dive with no problems.

I would not recommend doing this without planning it thoroughly beforehand and discussing the details with all parties involved. Even with planning, you should probably not do it more than on occasion, especially with a lower amount of dives. I'd only do it in extreme scenarios with good buddies with whom I've dove many times before.

If you know you'll use much more air than your buddy, make an effort to dive at a slightly shallower depth than your buddy.

This guide in Indonesia really had problems with what we were doing. And my OW instructor (from a year back, at that point) who was one of the leaders of the trip, ripped into both of us when he heard what we had done. His take? Once you are sharing gas, the ONLY thing you should ever do is go directly to the surface, NOW. Which pretty much rules out ever practicing the skill, except at a safety stop . . .

This guide in Indonesia really had problems with what we were doing. And my OW instructor (from a year back, at that point) who was one of the leaders of the trip, ripped into both of us when he heard what we had done. His take? Once you are sharing gas, the ONLY thing you should ever do is go directly to the surface, NOW. Which pretty much rules out ever practicing the skill, except at a safety stop . . .

For me it just rules out one instructor and one guide.

I do it with my 13 yr old son sometimes. He has an 80 tank and I have a 149 cu-ft, so I usually have a lot more. If everyone is comfortable doing it and everyone maintains a safe reserve in their own tank, then this is good practice for a potential emergency when you really might have to share air. It is not dangerous if it is done in a responsible manner by both parties who are in mutual agreement.

On the other hand, engaging in this behavoir when you are uncomfortable and a little scared and confused.... well.. that ain't no fun.. it is best to avoid engaging in practices that make you feel uncomfortable, scared, confused etc..

Just think how many less teen pregnancies we would have if everyone followed this advice. :D

BTW, this is NOT called buddy breathing. The title kinds of scares me. You are just sharing air with your DM.

As for this pratice, I have seen it first handed, also for the first time in Thailand. The DM/instructor was sharing air with a OW student and continued to dive, which was in the same group as me. I was nervous about it. I think DM/ dive guide on travel destination can be a little aggressive.

BTW, this is NOT called buddy breathing. The title kinds of scares me. You are just sharing air with your DM.

sorry for the confusion, i have asked the thread title to be changed

On the other hand, engaging in this behavoir when you are uncomfortable and a little scared and confused.... well.. that ain't no fun.. it is best to avoid engaging in practices that make you feel uncomfortable, scared, confused etc..

if you're referring to my own situation, i didn't exactly have a choice, but i surprised myself how calm i was the whole time, even though i was worried

I am against the practice in general- especially if the DM is the one donating air.

I have done it before early in my career as I saw many other DMs doing it but after a couple of tries I realised:

1. My vision of the group was severely impeded.
2. My reaction time would be much slower if forced to respond to an emergency.
3. It adds just another 'what if' to a dive.

If I see it happening during my guided dives, I have a talk afterwards to the couple involved and usually sort it out. I guess if there are only two divers, diving regularly together, the divers in question have the right to do what they want.... but I would still advise against it.

Drills are drills, practicing is practicing but air-sharing at depth to extend a dive IMO just asks for trouble.

Drills are drills, practicing is practicing but air-sharing at depth to extend a dive IMO just asks for trouble.

There are a lot of folks who believe that scuba diving is just asking for trouble -

As the largest air consumer in my diving family (SAC of 0.7) vs .5 for my sons and microscopically low for my wife, I will share air on an èasy`dive. Easy defined as not deep, crystal clear (Cozumel) and a clear route to the top. We do not practice this in the cold pacific where I just returnd from. Far too many other things to focus on in the cold green waters of Vancouver Island.

We share at the start of the dive and cease the practice at 1000 psi leaving lots of air for all. We surface together hopefully with close to the same amount of air left. We let all divers we are diving with know ahead of time to avoid confusion, worry or stress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom