Sharing a dive computer....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real answer: Yeah, you'll probably be fine, but just be aware that if it craps out it will really ruin your vacation.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Come on...the extreme worse case is you will be stuck on a beach somewhere being compelled to drink Pina Colada and severely strain your eyesight with what the environment has to offer. All things considered, that is probably when your life will be at stake considering that you were sharing computer with your tender half which may not readily accept such scenery and behaviour...:wink:

The problem is you are not just sharing a computer, in many cases one depth instrument, one timer. One of you is leading the dive, the other following in trust me mode. Just a really bad habit to develop. FWIW: When my sons dive with me, their indicated NDL is within 1 minute of mine (same model computer). It works because they are good buddies who don't "trust me"

Depends on the dive plan. New, somewhat unknown, and possibly challenging sites I would insist on my own. For known, unchallenging sites I often carry nothing but an SPG. No depth or time data other than what I already know. If the bet were right, I'd gladly do a week in Bonaire with nothing but an SPG. So 2 diver on one computer for that case would be easy. For a trip like the Flower Gardens where nitrogen and oxygen limits may both be challenged after 2 or 3 days, individual computers are essential.

The dive industry says no to sharing computers as stated by everyone so far. The reasoning is simple, its a LIFE support system.

No it's not.

If your computer stops working you're not going to die. Assuming an NDL dive, just ascend. Nothing life threatening about that.

....actually works pretty well based on empirical evidence over 20 dives my wife and I conducted. Wearing identical dive computers we surfaced from each of these dives with identical time remaining (within the same minute), identical nitrogen loads. My conclusion is that, if needed, we could run a single computer without problems.

20 dives, huh? Helluva sample there. It appears someone needs a remedial statistics course. You go ahead and dive one computer based on your overwhelming empirical "evidence." I'll continue to play it safe.

My wife and I just completed 40 dives together on a 10-day trip in the Bahamas. We reached a similar conclusion, but for very different reasons. While I have dove 2 computers for nearly as long as computers have been out, I was finally able to convince my wife to tag an extra one on - just-in-case. Good thing we did as hers crapped out on the 34th dive (200+ dives on the computer). She was very glad to have the back-up computer as she was able to continue diving without a hitch. That said, I did end up giving her my computer (almost identical model to the one that failed) as our profiles were nearly identical. The reason for the computer swap was that she is far more comfortable reading the primary computer she's used. As I was comfortable with either, it just made sense to make the switch. That and I use a backup analog pressure gage because of the same computer failing on a dive earlier this year.

BTW - 2 failures in one year = time to shop for new computers...

Interesting . . . Understand the sharing of computer as "bad" . . .

To throw in another variable, what if the non-computer diver had a backup timer and depth gauge? Is it still absolutely "no" to sharing the computer, given that both would know what the dive plan is?

:popcorn:

Lets also not forget that not having a computer leaves a diver with no Ascent Rate monitor, no timing device, and sometimes not even a Pressure gauge.

There also HAVE been examples of divers taking a DCS hit even though they followed their computer to the letter.

Now it's true you don't need a computer to dive, but what you do need at minimum is:
- Timing Device
- Depth Gauge
- Pressure Gauge
- Dive Plan
* You dive plan can be taken from someone else's computer but that computer has to account for your dive history.

IE. If you haven't been diving for 24hrs you can TECHNICALLY plan off anyone's computer, as the plan will always be a conservative one.
->The huge problem comes when you've been diving deeper or longer than the computer's previous recorded dive; your plan will then be extremely liberal and you run a huge risk of DCS.
->One the opposite side, the small problem comes when a computer has been diving deeper and/or longer than the person receiving it. Their plan will be super conservative and "rob" them of their NDL time.
These are the primary reasons why you should never swap or share computers during repetitive dives, the dive plan won't be accurate for your person.

And unless you can hold formation and depth to the exact centimeter with your buddy at all times, I don't think you have a reasonable justification to saying "my buddy's computer has been recording/diving MY dive".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom