Share a music vid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lowiz, they have changed indeed!
I find the footage very touching. Notice @ 0:43 - 0:45 the "bottom timer" they used back then...

I'm not sure this is true (maybe some of our Greek members can confirm, if they know), but the "da - da - dirla - da - da" chime throughout the song was supposed to provide the rhythm to the people who were manually driving the air pumps which supplied the air to the divers.

Yes, I did see that but I got distracted.

I was immediately struck by Alex D's mention of a congenial gathering, of which we are all a part, that passes focus from one to another. Dejavu all over again. The worldwide culture and congeniality in this thread makes me most happy to have started it. And I so love the vids that I would have never ever seen...

Tamada - Wikipedia Not one of us, but all of us. We pass the flagon to our brothers and sisters...

"At the Georgian table, a tamada is considered to help bridge the gap between past, present and future, toasting ancestors and descendants as well as the other guests at the table."

@Bottom Surveyor :)
One notice - Alaverdy - it is not a name of this song, it like ritual of following reply in theme.
... Alaverdy, lowviz
Alaverdi

A ritualized toast-competition, called alaverdi, is often established between the men at the table. The tamada talks about a specific topic, and the other men must modify this topic in the subsequent toasts.

When one alaverdi round is completed, the tamada must decide who will open the next round. His decision should be based on the criteria of the toast’s originality, its formulation, and the approval it received from the table. Table rhetoric is considered to be an important sign of masculinity. Men who cannot take part are considered unmanly.

In the special form of alaverdi toasting competition, the tamada symbolically grants other men his power of speech. To whoever he hands the drink-horn or the glass, becomes temporarily the tamada, and as such, the center of attraction of the dinner-party. He is then expected to vary and elaborate the topic already determined by the head-tamada.

In formal contexts, the competition is about ‘who is the best.’ The head-tamada, taking into consideration the approval of the people present, judges who was best. In the next round, the winner is given the right to speak as the second tamada. It is frequently very obvious that the head-tamada himself was the best, and he laboriously tries to remain in that position.

The audience at the table can express their appreciation of specific toasts by paying compliments, clapping, or making non-verbal gestures (however, this does not occur in the following example). In alaverdi-drinking, it becomes especially apparent that the power of words is a sign of masculinity in Georgian culture.

This ends the lesson on Georgian supras and toasting.
This song is like mix ("popuri") of national domestic melodies :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom