Shallow water DSLR Camera case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not one, but I'm guessing the air doesn't vent from the bag. So, it's just a matter of Boyle's Law... thus the squeeze begins immediately the descent begins. The biggest pressure change occurs from the surface to 10m (x2 ata).. a 1/2 reduction in volume.

I've not seen one of these flexible housings that looks like it'd permit a 1/2 volume in reduction without crushing a camera to pieces..
That entirely depends on the size of the bag and the size of the camera. If there's enough air volume left at 2 atm to leave the bag loose and floppy around the camera, then you have no squeeze and the camera would be perfectly happy with that. And since we're only talking about 10', you only need 30% extra air space in the bag to make that happen.

That entirely depends on the size of the bag and the size of the camera. If there's enough air volume left at 2 atm to leave the bag loose and floppy around the camera, then you have no squeeze and the camera would be perfectly happy with that. And since we're only talking about 10', you only need 30% extra air space in the bag to make that happen.

You're correct. Can you show me such a housing that provides 30-100% extra volume?

You're correct. Can you show me such a housing that provides 30-100% extra volume?
Sure, the one you posted yourself. I don't have one myself (I don't even have an SLR) but it seems quite spacious and with a small enough SLR, there should be plenty of air space left. Just compare the measurements of the bag given with the size of a small SLR, like one of the Canon Rebel ones. As one of the reviews says:

Q: Hi friend, will it fit my Canon Powershot SX35? Thank youA:
It should fit it with no problem. My camera is a Canon Rebel T3i and there was plenty of room left over inside the bag for larger cameras. I thought it would be too much room, but I squeezed all of the air I could out of the bag before sealing it and this prevented my camera from moving in the bag at all. I think you'll be fine. Just be sure to do the no-camera test in your bathtub.

Skip the "squeezing the air out" part and voila. Obviously you would do a test run first and abort immediately as soon as the bag starts to look like a shrink wrap.

Sure, the one you posted yourself.... it seems quite spacious and with a small enough SLR, there should be plenty of air space left. Just compare the measurements of the bag given with the size of a small SLR, like one of the Canon Rebel ones.

Skip the "squeezing the air out" part and voila. Obviously you would do a test run first and abort immediately as soon as the bag starts to look like a shrink wrap.

I'll leave it to you to prove your theory. LOL Too many hypothetical "shoulds" in your guesswork..

Two-digit PSI versus fragile digital instruments is not a game of chance I like to play.. LMAO... nor one I'd recommend to others.

I guess it's different to make a recommendation if you've no intention to do it yourself. You get an answer to your hypothesis and other people's money is cheap. haha

I'll leave it to you to prove your theory. LOL Too many hypothetical "shoulds" in your guesswork..

Two-digit PSI versus fragile digital instruments is not a game of chance I like to play.. LMAO... nor one I'd recommend to others.

I guess it's different to make a recommendation if you've no intention to do it yourself. You get an answer to your hypothesis and other people's money is cheap. haha
You're confusing recommendation with pointing out a possibility. I'm quite sure the OP is able to make a decision for himself.

Back
Top Bottom