Shallow water DSLR Camera case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanc65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for options of a camera case for a Canon DSLR. I want something just to be used for shallow water 15-20 feet max. and for hiking, etc. I want something that is inexpensive. I have Ikelite cases for a P&S camera and video camera, I don't want something that large or expensive.

So, i want to know options and opinions of available choices. Them, what are the pros/cons of those options. Ease of use, access to camera functions, are you shooting thru a glass port or clear plastic. Is there any degradation of quality thru plastic, etc.

Interested in any options.

Thanks,
Ryan

As far as I have heard, there is no such thing as an inexpensive shallow water camera housing. Once a company has custom made a housing with decent controls, making the housing to hold up to 200' is not much more expensive then 20'. A shallow water housing would have a very small market. Making one would be ill advised. The least expensive housings I know of are Ikelite at $1500 for the housing and you still have to buy the port. Metal housings offer better control but cost twice as much.

Underwater err photography is really not something one can do on the cheap.

Some of the domes used come in glass or acrylic. Both are fine optically. Acrylic scratches easily, but the scratches can be buffed out.

Firstly there are cheap underwater housings that are good to about 30 feet, I personally would not put my DSLR in one for underwater use. Anyway go to Adorama .com, Underwater, Underwater Housings, Ewa-Marine. These are basically thick plastic bags with ports attached. They run $200 to $400 so they are cheap in comparison to a real housing, but again I would use it in the rain and maybe snorkeling. Good luck

41p0%2BDeNPxL._SY300_.jpg

Protects from water entry. Does not protect from pressure (flexible housing). Depth ratings for these are (disingenuously) based on water resistance, but don't take into account crushing pressure.

How many PSI are you happy to expose your DSLR too?

I suppose I could have phrased the question better. I wouldn't expect to find a hard case that qualifies as inexpensive. I was figuring something like the dry bags mentioned above. Has anybody actually used one of these? I am interested to know what functions you can still access on the camera. Or do you set everything before placing it in the bag and hope you get the settings right?

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 10:43 PM ----------

i should say i'm considering the use of one of these for a cage dive. So, the camera should not go deeper than ~10 feet.

Andy is so correct. Also pressure allows sippage. Snorkle/rain maybe, dive no way unless of course it is a disposable DSLR.

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

You realize that for about the same amount of money you could pick up a Olympus P&S that is waterproof to 30 feet. They take great pictures and have an underwater setting. Could save your DSLR.

The pressure is not an issue as long as there's enough air left in the bag. It only becomes an issue once the squeeze starts.

I've not one, but I'm guessing the air doesn't vent from the bag. So, it's just a matter of Boyle's Law... thus the squeeze begins immediately the descent begins. The biggest pressure change occurs from the surface to 10m (x2 ata).. a 1/2 reduction in volume.

I've not seen one of these flexible housings that looks like it'd permit a 1/2 volume in reduction without crushing a camera to pieces..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom