SGP/Console vs other

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the threads I was reading a while back talked about people not liking console mounted items (computer/compass/ect) but did not say why. Being a new diver (2 local dives after competing OW) I kinda like the idea of the console. It has every thing in one place and easy to find. It seems easier to gear up and down not having to strap more stuff on.

I am sure a lot is preference but again the thread did not really say why they felt that way.

I started out with a depth gauge, compass and watch on wriists and a SPG. They came out with consoles and then computers. I changed and never looked back. I have a Suunto Cobra with all my information available in one location. It's nice to gear up and have everything ready to go without putting on wrist instruments.

I prefer wrist mounted gauges because for me having the depth gauge/computer and compass on my wrist is easier when doing navigation. Also if I need both hands for a task I do not need to let go of whatever I'm holding to see the info. I just turn my wrist the same as wearing a watch. When doing nav the hose on a console needs to be long enough to allow you to hold it out in front of you to use it effectively. This same length will often form a nice big loop sticking out to the side when it's clipped off. Wrist gauges allow me to further streamline my gear and have all the info needed when I need it by simply moving my arm. I don't have to reach for it. Except the spg. And I like the smaller single guage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom