Sewing your wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a rather large mammal I have to adjust all of my gear. I use a combination of hand sewing and glue, haven't had a problem yet. as for doing the zipper, I find the biggest problem is cutting the material straight but since you already have the suit and a zipper in place, and all you are doing is replacing it there shouldn't be any call for cutting material.

My method is using a bit of neoprene glue first to hold things where I want them. Then I stitch using a heavy duty nylon thread, then depending on what I'm sewing I might seal the area with more glue to give added strength.

We got the zipper in. My wife pulled out the old zipper and we glued the new zipper in with neoprene glue. (How cool is that stuff?) After it dried my Super Wife sewed in the new zipper and then we glued it in place.

I spent the last week in Fort Bragg California diving for Abalone. I probably spent a good ten hours in the water. The zipper held fine we had a lot of fun. We picked 16 abalone and they are tasty.

I gave one away to a fellow named Tom from L.A. He was amazed by the size of the abalone and said he was going to send pictures to his mom. Apparently in L.A. they only get the small 4 inch commercially picked abs. I gave him and eight inch ab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom