sewing/repair wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim See

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

It seems like every time a turn around I have velcro peeling away from gloves or my wifes farmer janes. Is there a special thread I should use or technique? I would greatly appreciate any advice. :huh:

Thanks Jim

i like to use a linen thread otherwise a serger (or overlocker as we call it down here) thread would also do the trick.

if you want it to be able to stretch... a woolley nylon thread (used when sewing lycra/stretch knit fabrics) would give you that stretch but i dont find the thread as strong as the others

ive used my sewing machines to do a number of neoprene repairs and touch wood both machiine & items still lasting

cheers

JIM SEE:
Hi all,

It seems like every time a turn around I have velcro peeling away from gloves or my wifes farmer janes. Is there a special thread I should use or technique? I would greatly appreciate any advice. :huh:

Thanks Jim

Get some nylon (won't rot) upholstery (rugged) thread. By using a hooked needle or by folding the material it is usually best to avoid stitching through the material (makes a leak) but rather just hooking down into the neoprene. When you get down to thin stuff just sew through.

If you keep having loose ends that start unravelingy going over the whole suit (when dry) with some wetsuit cement or seam grip and tacking each thread end. Some brands to this as standard practice.

If the gloves are having it hard it may be time to look but not touch while diving.

Pete

Thank you for the advice it is most apprectiated. I'm all for seeing instead of touching while diving I just seem to pull the velcro apart when removing my gloves etc...

Thanks Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom