Sevylor Diveyak XK2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a huge fan of the sit-on kayaks and given the choice over the Sevylor I would go with the sit-on top. However, I have looked at the Sevylor and wanted one-just not bad enough to pay for it. If I got a good deal I might reconsider. I think it would make a good boat for freediving or playing with.

As I'm investigating the 2020 - 2 seater for double AND solo paddling, I found an electric motor company that seems very cool. Go to http://www.outboardelectric.org
I'd love to avoid the noise and stink of 2 cycles, and since they say the 3.5hp can make 15mph, it seems a smaller motor would be both fine, and less expensive too. Then I saw these guys. I left a message, and have yet to talk. Super power and long range. Please let me know what you find out as well.

I couldn't find the 2020 on Sevyler's site the other day. Have they DCed it? I was looking at it as a easily portable inflatable.

I use a sit on top for most of my beach diving. If your trying to paddle one of the 2020s I've been told the wind can really push you around.

peterthewolf:
As I'm investigating the 2020 - 2 seater for double AND solo paddling, I found an electric motor company that seems very cool. Go to http://www.outboardelectric.org
I'd love to avoid the noise and stink of 2 cycles, and since they say the 3.5hp can make 15mph, it seems a smaller motor would be both fine, and less expensive too. Then I saw these guys. I left a message, and have yet to talk. Super power and long range. Please let me know what you find out as well.

Peter, am I missing something. The motor is $4500 and the Diveyak is $ 500. Why don't you just but a regular boat for that price? Also what is the power requirement of the motor? Maybe you should look at Bass Pro Shops or Boaters World.

I am wondering what the outcome was with this. I too am very confused about the inflatable vs. plastic. the last time I was diving off of a kayak was 15 years ago. I am looking and interested in Lake Tahoe and lakes up north mostly.

I understand completely about using the short dives when I do make it to Monterey. I am looking at transport to/from on a small car and that was why I was thinking the inflatable would be better. A small motor would be great.

I have read all of the reply's with great interest, but I am not sold either way. I know that I don't have the stamina at this point to paddle for any great distance.

... I don't have the stamina at this point to paddle for any great distance.
At least up at Tahoe you can sometimes eyeball a spot to where you can launch & paddle upwind so the ride back is a lot easier.
Honda has a nice little 27 pound 2hp 4 stroke:
Honda Marine - Honda 2 HP Outboard Engine
I'm not sure what the standard retail price is on the critter, but it's worth looking into.
Plastic yaks slide through the water easier (generally speaking)

I'm in Sacto right now as luck would have it.:wink:
Got a roof rack we're looking to give away, it'll hold a canoe or yak.

Dove with a friend and his Dive Yak this past weekend and we will never do it again.

#1 try putting two men and gear on one and NOT exceeding the wieght limit.
#2 The view hatch was a joke. A) The positioning of it and where the seats mounts allows the Hatch to catch water and create major resistance. B) we could see better looking over the side than looking through the rippled plactic.

#3 it tracks terrible!!! could not keep it going straight and after a dozen strokes or so it would hook one direction or the other.

No wonder they discontinued it!!

My buddy bought this thing two years ago with all the accesories and this was his first outing with it and he totally regrets it.

Looking for a Dive Yak? Keep your eyes open, it will most likely end up on Craigslist.

Jeff

Wow Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience.

I was so enthusiastic about mine, and I still am. I did however approach it gradually. I agree that the tracking is not so great, but that's when compared to another boat. I accepted that and adapted my paddling to get over it. I think had you guys had a chance to get it figured out first, it would have helped.

The hatch, however I agree is a complete waste. I have never used it without the cover on after seeing it once. And having tried it on my first dive out, I did step on my seat and fall right through into our 48 degree CA North coast water. Invigorating. So I keep it clipped shut, and I'd love to find an adhesive that would stick both to the nylon cover and the polyethelene gunwhale to close those two sides permanently. A buddy set his weight belt on it on the way back from freediving one day, and you know the rest... But that said, I think the boat is ok for two divers skindiving, or one with full scuba, but not two with scuba.

Just last week I finally put the Minn-kota Riptide 40 trolling motor on it. It was an extremely windy day, and that's exactly what the motor is for. I hoodwinked myself wonderfully, justifying the purchase as a safety measure in case winds act up as they can out here. I unloaded it near the mouth of the Russian River at at boat ramp a few hundred yards from the ocean thinking I'd break myself in on the river but not the ocean yet. But not being familar at all yet with the motor, man it was blowing, so I packed it back up and headed upstream 20 minutes where winds calmed some. I got it going, tried the first 4 speeds on the very slowly moving river, went in and out of the wind. They went from very pleasant 1/3 paddle speed crawl to moving about 2.5x paddling speed. Then I clicked it to the 5th speed and it slammed home into action so much faster in some kind of overdrive that it scared the hell out of me, it seemed to go so fast! I'd say about 3 times the speed I could paddle if I was really pushing it. I mean, ripples through the whole boat length as it moved over the water, with a bow wave and good wake, and *very* strong. I'm just thrilled with it, and love the idea that the downsides are well outweighed for my situation by the positives.

Best of luck on your quest for the right kind of boat. Perhaps, try his sometime in an easier scenario and consider if on scuba making it a one seater, and spare cargo boat for the buddy. They make the Coral Sea now, a one seater. It has no hatch, is almost exactly that much shorter at 9', would take a motor, and is more comfortable than mine. Also, coast guard regs require a life jacket, so I just bring one and put it under my seat to raise me up. That makes paddling way more pleasant. I bought my buddy Eli a Coral Sea, so I am familiar by real comparison from our trips out together. Diveyaks are not the cure for everything, but here on Northcoast, it's very cool to be able skip the boat ramp bidness, go shoot out and get to great dive spots so easily, and then just roll it up and throw it in the trunk or back of a truck and go home.
Peter

Don't Kayak Monestery if your diving.

Inflatable dive yaks have evolved, and are getting better as the materials improve. The best point made in this thread is: Inflatable yaks are cheeper, and more portable (in trunk not on top) fine for ocasional usage. They suffer in the speed if you compare to a hard shell such as the Wildernesses Tarpon. But hard shells require storage space and have ease of paddling, Ocean Kayak Torque Motorized Fishing Kayak changes the whole thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom