Several questions re:Stiletto and Ranger Ltd -sizing - weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snarr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at purchasing the Stiletto or Ranger Ltd. but am confused as to what size I should get. My height (5'9) and weight (195 lbs) put me in a large but my waist (35-36 inches) and waist to shoulder length (20 inches) put me in a medium. How adjustable are these bcs? Which factor is most important to consider, weight or waist to shoulder length? Which size should I be getting?

Also, I currently live in Egypt and do mostly warm water dives. I travel to dive a bit(going to South Africa and Mozambique in Dec.) but I may return to Canada to live next year so cold water will likely be in my future.
How much more bulky is the Ranger Ltd? What is its travel weight?

Finally, I have only done single tank diving and don't forsee doubles anytime soon.
Will the 35 lbs of lift of the stiletto still be ok in a thick suit when I return to Canada or would the ranger be better?

Thanks for your help.

I would say that the waist size and the shoulder-to-waist measurements are the most important factors in fit.

If you are borderline, I would say go with the larger size...what suit you wear can also affect that decision.

The Ranger LTd is a bit bulkier than the Stiletto, and the weight difference is about 2 lbs, give or take a little.

The Stiletto is available with a 44lb bladder, if you want something a little bigger for your Canadian diving.

Hope that helps...

Scott

I am looking at purchasing the Stiletto or Ranger Ltd. but am confused as to what size I should get. My height (5'9) and weight (195 lbs) put me in a large but my waist (35-36 inches) < Definitely large. and waist to shoulder length (20 inches) put me in a medium. < A medium shoulder on a large BC might be the ticket. How adjustable are these bcs? Which factor is most important to consider, weight or waist to shoulder length? Which size should I be getting?

Also, I currently live in Egypt and do mostly warm water dives. I travel to dive a bit(going to South Africa and Mozambique in Dec.) but I may return to Canada to live next year so cold water will likely be in my future.
How much more bulky is the Ranger Ltd? What is its travel weight? It's quite a bit bulkier & heavier.
Finally, I have only done single tank diving and don't forsee doubles anytime soon.
Will the 35 lbs of lift of the stiletto still be ok in a thick suit when I return to Canada or would the ranger be better? It's likely you'd be happier with a Stiletto for the warm water and travel, since you don't plan to use doubles.

Plenty of lift at 35 lbs IMO, I've worn my standard Stiletto many times with a 7mm suit and a hooded vest.
But like Scott suggested you could bump to the 44 lbs bladder and it would still be lighter and more streamlined than a Ranger.

Chad

Thank you Scott and Chad,

I appreciate your advice. I also spoke to someone at scubatoys and it seems that the large is the concenus choice. The large Stiletto it will be. I will do a little more research and check with the folks at scubatoys regarding Chad's idea about the medium shoulders on a large.

Thanks again for your help.

snarr,

It kind of depends on your build.
If you are big in the upper body, barrel chested, you might fit the large shouder better than the medium.
If you were standing here I'd know instantly...
and I'd try you in one of each or make the Large/Medium hybrid sized BC.

Chad

Hey Chad,

I wish I could try both sizes but living in Egypt I have not found any shops carrying Zeagle gear, especially here in Cairo. Internet purchase of this product is my only option.
I don't consider myself all that big in the upper body(42-43 inch chest) but I usually wear large bcds. Sometimes I have felt like they move a bit on me in the water even with the should straps pulled right down. Most of my diving has been done with Agualung (seaquest) Wave bcds.
I am concerned with the shoulder-waist measurement as mine is 20 inches, a full two inches shorter than the large's 22 inch minimum.
Does this information along with the height and weight numbers I posted earlier help you to clarify my situation?

Good chance the medium shoulder will be the one.
Worst case you take the medium shoulder off and return it for a large.
Or if you need the BC right away, you could order it with both and return the one that you don't need.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom