Several questions about Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might do a search on this board for dive ops, since that's a popular subject. I've used Scuba by Alsino and been quite pleased. Alison was especially helpful to my wife.

Have fun.

scubasean once bubbled...
Look at this post....apparently not a satisfied person. :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=363877#post363877

Well, I thought that report was bit extreme. I have been going to Cozumel for 25 years, and, yes, it has changed over that time, and mostly not for the better. I have seen some reefs decline somewhat, but that report intimates that what was once a garden is now a desert, but that is an exaggeration, IMO. I have not dived Chankanaab from a boat in quite a while, so I cannot directly refute the claim that that particular reef is devastated, but Palancar (for example) is still alive and well.

Nevertheless, I will consider diving over on the PdC side on my next trip there.

ggunn, I enjoyed your review of Cozumel. What hotel do you usually stay at? Many divers don't care as much about luxury settings, but are there for the diving. I last went to Cozumel in '95 and stayed at a hotel (I think it was Hotel Colonial) along the walk-way from Prima to townsquare with a balcony on the end units overlooking the walkway. They weren't luxury, but there were decent and had a refigerator and a small stove-top. It was very convenient to town square and all of the great and inexpensive restaurants. We dove Blue Bubble, which was just a few blocks away. I was very impressed with them, especially our DM Raul. I wasted 11 years of living in Dallas while being certified before I experienced Cozumel. It is a bit more expensive to fly to Cozumel from Cincinnati then from Dallas.

On the wetsuit questions, I dove in July '95 with no thermal protection with no problem. I used a 3mm shorty in November and because a shift in the winds, I was VERY CHILLED. When the winds shifted back to normal, the water was calm and my shorty wetsuit was plenty to keep me comfortable. It is nice to have warm air during the SI. If you get chilled at all, it would be good to have thermal protection in the winter months.

I have usually stayed at Lorena, formerly named La Perla, and now called Caribe Blu. It's not luxury, but it's small and quiet, right on the water and "near enough" to town. The rooms are clean and A/C'ed, and there's a pool overlooking the water and a dock.

I have always dived with Cozumel Equalizers, but there is now a decent dive shop (Blue Angel) at the hotel, the owners of which are now also owners of the hotel.

Been to Cozumel twice in January, going again in February 2004. I wear a Mares 5-4-3 and am quite comfortable. The people we go with (about 14 of us) usually wear 3mm and my husband dives in shorts and a tshirt. No one ever complains about being cold. Jellyfish stings are the only thing to be aware of. I was stung on the hand last year (the only place exposed) and it really stung.
The dives are wonderful. Last year we dove with the Del Mar Shop and it was great. There was a locker for our gear, so we could go back and forth from town and not have to carry everything. Worked really well and the people of the shop were great. Boats were well maintained and they kept us together. We went diving every second morning and were back by noon or 1:00.
We stayed at the all-inclusive Park Royal, but are doing budget this year (Hotel Aguilar). Clean and located in town. Has air conditioning and a fridge in every room. Check out http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/aguilar/
All you need is a hot plate, but there are lots of good restaurants. Taxi to the dive area is about $3us.
Have a wonderful time!! Wish I was going there already...can hardly wait until February

If the scuba operation you are referring to is scubawithalison.com and the operator is Alison Dennis, I can recommend her highly. I have dived with her before and you will find that she is very easy to work with and should give you good quality for your dollar.

I usually wear a 3mm shorty that time of year and most people are happy with that protection.

Alison's prices include BC, reg, tanks, weights and wet suit if you need it. Be sure to include those in your computations.

Rich Hagelin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom