Several questions about Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
:confused: We're going diving in Cozumel, for the first time ever, in late October. Although money is not a big issue,we're not interested in throwing it away either. We'd(my girlfriend and i) like to get some input as to the pricing of diving in Cozumel. Also,we haven't bought our wetsuits yet,so we'd like some advise on what thickness would be best for late October in Coz.
Other questions: Should we go with an All-inclusive plan or would it be better to get a hotel room and find the food(and booze) on our own.
I found a OP that looks quite good...it's called ScubabyAllison.
Any input on it would be nice. As a child,my girlfriend was hit by a drunk driver and her lower portion of her leg was crushed. She certainly doesn't use this as an excuse for anything(she's badass!!) but it does slow her down when gearing up,etc. ,so a understanding OP is quite important.
I'd appreciate any input as to where to stay and eat too. I know this is a long request, but it's important to me that we have a good time.Thanks everyone and les bon temp roulet!!

Best thing to do is a search under Coz in the Mexico section. There are a ton of rec's for DO's, Rest and discussions about where to stay and even what TA to book with and airline deals. The bag of goodies is extremely large on this one so enjoy your trip to Coz.

Where you from, mon ami? I myself am a Louisianian transplanted to Texas.

Anyway, I would recommend staying close to town and not buying an all-inclusive deal. There are some great little restaurants on the island, and all-inclusives encourage folks to hole up in the hotel and not get out and experience Cozumel. I have some info posted at http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/CozTrav2000/index.html
that might be of some use to you.

Have a great trip, and laissez les bon temps rouler!

A lycra skin is the most I've ever needed in Coz, anytime of the year.
Diving is about 50-60 usd for a two tank trip. you can spend more if you want, like Aldora divers that offers steel 120's on their dives. I've used several dive op's, Dive Paradise, Dive House, Aldora, and Flashes Adventures. Will be using Papa Hogs this time in October. I prefer the smaller, faster 6-pac boats these days.
Hotels are varied. You can stay at smaller "B&B like" places for 35 usd per night, or mid priced places like Barracuda, Brisas or my personal favorite Fiesta Americana. you can stay in these for 50-85 per night.
All inclusive is your choice. If you add up breakfast, lunch and some drinks you might come close to their all inclusive daily price. You might need to do it once non-all-inclusive to see how your requirements add up.
Have fun. I always do.

I just got back from Cozumel yesterday. I would definately not stay at an all inclusive again. I previously stayed at an all inclusive and this time we rented a house in town, went to the local grocery and cooked for ourselves. When we were tired of cooking we made it out to the many neighborhood restaurants for cheap good food (I definately recommend La Mission on 30 just north of Benito Juarez, service and food were excellent and cheap) We dove with Dive house for $57/two tank dives in a package of three days. We also did a night dive with ecodivers and a Punta Sur trip with Dive with Martin. Excellent experiences with all. As for wet suits, my wife uses a 0.5mm and I use a lyra skin, we've never needed more than that.

Hope this helps some

hi there,

I too will be visiting Coz for the first time, but in November. As a word of caution for the wetsuit issue-how many days of diving will you be doing?- I understand the water temps in coz in fall are between 80 and 84. I have just returned from a trip to Bonaire where the water was 79-80. I wore a 3mm jumpsuit, but after day 4, I needed my skin too- and was still cold. So IMHO, get at least a 3mm- warmer is always better.
That being said, several up northers who are used to colder temps dive in the carib with nothing-I guess it depends on what you are used to.

I have chosen to stay in an all-inclusive for convenience. My buddy and I are not foodies and would rather spend out time diving, so for us the all-in is a much more convenient option. I found on a trip to Grand cayman, the effort of finding a restuarant wasted time I could have spent diving.

happy diving.

Cozumel waters are warm. I dive a shorty wetsuit and have never been cold, even at 90 ft. However, I only do one or two dives in a day. Continuous diving might require a full wet suit as more immersion time would lower you core body temp.

Diving costs are mostly in the neighborhood of US $60/two tank dive. You can look up reviews of the various providers on the internet.

If you like laid-back living, with no work and continuous food and drinks on demand, the all-inclusive is the best way. Drinks at most (stay and pay) resorts cost $6 or more (including beer). If you drink much it doesn't take long to catch up to the additional price of all-inclusive. Personally, I love laying on the beach without a care in the world until the sun goes down. No worry about getting up in time to fix food or dress for dinner, catch a cab, etc.

If you like socializing, and enjoy going into town, go the room only route, but I suggest you pick a hotel near town so you won't need a cab for everything.

Most all inclusives are either far North or far South on the island, and require a long cab ride into town. However, the ones on the South are only a very short ride to some of the most popular reefs, and you can leave from their dock.

As far as having a good time, don't sweat the small s**t and just get on the beach and/or in the water. Both are absolute paradise at Coz. Wish I could be there now! ;-0

munkispank once bubbled...
I have just returned from a trip to Bonaire where the water was 79-80. I wore a 3mm jumpsuit, but after day 4, I needed my skin too- and was still cold. So IMHO, get at least a 3mm- warmer is always better.
A beanie like the Deep Sea Hot Head takes up almost no space or weight in your gearbag, but will make a lot of difference in your thermal protection.

Keeps those jellyfish off my bald spot when surfacing, too :D .

...I am considering purchasing some kind of head gear. I used to mentally tease other divers in tropical waters with hoods, but I now see the benefit. As an added bonus above the warmth, it will help keep my hair out of my face (sorry charlie99, I am a long haired female without a bald spot)

We've been diving in Cozumel four times, including each of the last three Thanksgivings. We've done all inclusive (Allegro and Brisas) as well as eat-on-your own -- Fiesta Americana and Las Glorias. In general, we ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel and, even with an all-inclusive, ate in town for dinner. There are lots of great, reasonably priced restaurants. Don't know if anyone offers a meal plan with just breakfast and lunch, but if they did that would be the way to go.

As for other tips -- we have been diving with Dive Paradise the last three years and they've been great. Before that we dove with Dive House and thought they were well-run also.

One note of caution -- while there are dive shops in Coz, the selection can be quite iffy...make sure you've got what you need before you leave home! And make sure you rent a car, if only for a day, to travel around the Island...the other side is spectacular!!

sdwho

Back
Top Bottom